Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 01:29:08
Print Post

Recommend a scanner

[link to this post]

I have just spent 30 minutes cleaning the mirrors in my HP Scanjet 6300c. It works like new now, quick and crisp scans but I have to clean the mirrors every 6 months or so.

Three of the mirrors are easy they can be done by just removing the top from the scanner and unclipping them, but the most important, longest one which seems to get the most dust is under the light, which has to be removed for access.

Is there a scanner out there that does not require this kind of maintenance which means removing the scanner carriage and CFL tube to get access to the mirrors to clean. eg a scanner without mirrors?

Can anyone recommend a decent scanner like this mainly for documents.

Scanjet cleaning procedure I found on the web, Linky

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 12-Mar-15 13:34:58
Print Post

Re: Recommend a scanner

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I only use flat-bed scanners. No mirrors.

Actually, I'm not sure why a document scanner would need mirrors, unless it's for double-sided scanning.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 12-Mar-15 13:36:17)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 21:09:24
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The 6300 is a flatbed and uses a CCD sensor the mirrors reduce the image down to CCD size.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 12-Mar-15 21:24:28
Print Post

For standard scanning, any modern flat-bed will do the job. It's the additional requirements, such as film scanning, that cause problems. I have an Epson V600. I bought it for film scanning but it's been a bit of a disappointment in that department. It's fine for regular scanning but it's also bulky (not to mention expensive). My favourite scanner is my Canon LiDE 80. Compact, light and USB-powered, it's the best scanner I've ever had. The only problem is that there's no 64-bit drivers for it. I'm hoping that I can get it working again with my Raspberry Pi.

If you want to scan films as well as documents (and photographic prints), check out Ken Rockwell's blog. Otherwise, buy a cheap flat-bed scanner. Rockwell recommends Epson but I have no preference, except that with USB-powered scanners, you don't have to grub around for the power brick whenever you want to use it.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 12-Mar-15 21:27:40)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 12-Mar-15 21:27:07
Print Post

Re: Recommend a scanner *DELETED*

Post deleted by micksharpe

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 12-Mar-15 21:27:27)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 21:36:50
Print Post

I have been looking at the Canon 220. I also have a program called Vuescan by Hamrick software which works my 6300 on Windows 8 and also has drivers for the Canon Lide range, there is a 64 bit version of the software.

I have seen some people saying the build construction of the Canons was a bit flimsy. I do the odd photo but mostly A4 documents to pdf.

Do you know what kind of light and sensor are used on the Canon lide range, also heard the software is a bit clunky?

Tim
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 12-Mar-15 22:00:26
Print Post

The LiDE 80 has a contact image sensor. I must admit that I've never heard of them, and surprise, surprise, they use mirrors. I've never had to clean mine. The LiDE 220 also has a CIS sensor, while the Epson V37 has a CCD sensor.

I can't remember how I got on with Canon's software. I think it was OK. I too have VueScan. I bought it to do colour-managed scanning, which Canon's software at the time didn't provide. Since I started using the Epson, I have just stuck with their software. I like it and it's easier to use than VueScan.

The build quality of the LiDE 80 is fine, although the lid now has a few dints in it. No complaints on that score.

If you fancy a CCD scanner and you don't mind having another power brick, go with the Epson V37. The scan quality will be fine and the software's a doddle to use.

If you want to do film scanning, read Ken Rockwell's blog first.

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 12-Mar-15 22:03:31)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 22:07:53
Print Post

If I am reading that wiki right the CIS is on the glass and the CCD uses mirrors. So no mirrors on the Canon.

Tim
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 12-Mar-15 22:13:37
Print Post

I'm not sure. It just looks like a piece of plain glass. The sensor is almost in contact with the underside of the glass. I've never bothered to look at it since it is always parked out of view.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 22:21:51
Print Post

What is the scan quality like of the Canon vs the Epson?

Tim
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to