Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Mar-15 07:04:48
Print Post

Groundhog Day - laptop won't wake up!

[link to this post]

It's happening again! Four years ago I got a new Dell Studio which was wonderful except that when I closed the lid and then re-opened it, it just gave me a black screen and refused to wake. Only a hard reboot would work. I remember endlessly fiddling with BIOS, video card and power options and then suddenly the problem went away. Now I have an Inspiron 15 with an i7 processor which is wonderful except........yes, you've guessed it. There are countless articles about this problem but I was wondering if anyone here can give me an updated view of the way forward. I'm thinking video card drivers as my first option but I really don't want to mess up a brand new computer with too much tampering. I have checked and it has the latest BIOS. Power options are set correctly. It's Win 8.1 and yes, I will update my signature when I have a moment.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Fri 13-Mar-15 12:26:26
Print Post

Re: Groundhog Day - laptop won't wake up!

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

I dont know these Dell models but a few years ago we had a similar problem with IBM laptops and the cause was the microswitch which activated this feature was sticking. I have no idea if these switches now days are still mechanical (very small protusion on the lid which pushes down on a small hole on the top cover behind which is the switch) or if they are magnetically activated (similar to the iPad and cover). No idea if this is relevant but worth considering.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Mar-15 09:47:48
Print Post

Re: Groundhog Day - laptop won't wake up!

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

It might not have the latest drivers installed, even if it is brand new. Check via the Dell web site and windows update.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to