Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 22:53:44
Print Post

Disappointed with Novatech

[link to this post]

Bought an MSI GT610 video card with passive cooling last October which recently went faulty. Returned it to Novatech and they insisted it had to go back to the manufacturer on 12 March.

The replacement has arrived today and although it's a Gt610 it performs like a pig clock speed is slower and it isn't passive it has a fan.

I have emailed the Customer Services Director asking to return the poor spec card and get a refund as the replacement is materially different in specification to what I ordered. It also has a3year warranty, am I within my rights?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 23:40:20
Print Post

Re: Disappointed with Novatech

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

You are jumping the gun. Give them time to reply first before considering further actions!!!! No point worrying about it for now...

AAISP Home::1
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 23:50:08
Print Post

Am I correct in assuming that the replacement is a different brand of GT610, hence the different spec?As far as I can see the MSI version is still available, so they should be able to supply that. It could be that the manufacturer has credited Novatech for the faulty product and Novatech didn't have the MSI version available at the time. According to their web site they have 6 in stock so there is no reason why they cannot send you the correct one. Wait for Novatech's response, hopefully they will just replace it.

Edited by rogerfp (Fri 27-Mar-15 23:52:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 28-Mar-15 00:00:13
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Sounds like a repair job - lower the clock speed and stick a fan on to cure overheating. Passive cooling is great if you get it right. If...

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 28-Mar-15 00:01:23
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Am I correct in assuming that the replacement is a different brand of GT610, hence the different spec?
It may not be a different brand- MSI do (did?) both fan-cooled and passive versions of the 610.

@Tim- you have a PM.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-15 00:18:22
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks Bill. It is indeed an MSI branded GT610, GPU clock 550 should be 810 and memory clock 600 should be 1200 with a fan on a heatsink, not what I bought.

Tim
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 28-Mar-15 00:25:07
Print Post

These things seem to vary a bit- I bought a second GTX780 Ti and had a similar problem, core and memory clocks both well down from where they should have been. And noisy fans frown

But it was from Amazon so returned and refunded with no bother.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-15 00:27:44
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

You are right Mr Pipexer I was so peed off that the CS rep did not ring me back to tell me it was going to be Monday for a resolution I went out and bought an Asus GT610 with passive cooling at local pc shop. Wish I had done this before they usually dont quibble with returns.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-15 02:33:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Further investigation shows the model number to be the same as my box I sent the original back in. They used my old MSI box to send the card to me in with the same returns number on. The only difference on the model number is that it has V2 at the end and the box has V1 at the end of the model number.

Having said that my machine wont even boot now with the V2 card in but the Asus is ok.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-15 18:58:30
Print Post

What a nightmare.

Director forgot to email me, CS rep forgot to phone me and email me a parcel label. Finally got agreement for a refund after the refurbished card has gone back.

The replacement card won't even boot my machine now. Getting a refund may prove challenging if everyone there is as forgetful as those I have dealt with today.

Tim
  Print Thread

Jump to