Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 10-Jun-15 00:22:46
Print Post

Router instability

[link to this post]

I have a Netgear DG834N router that has for some time been losing sync now and again. Sometimes, it will perform for a week or so without any trouble, and at other time it will lose sync several times in a day. I've always put it down to line noise or the OR engineers mucking about.

However, this evening it really started playing up. Usually, I just reboot it from the web interface but this time it didn't do the job, so I decided to do a hard boot. I unplugged the power cord, waited a few seconds and then plugged it back in, and I noticed that the LEDs didn't behave as they should do. I tried it again and as I repeated the process, things got progressively worse until the wretched thing refused to boot at all.

Maybe I've killed it, I thought, and wondered if the old Westell modem that I kept for such emergencies would still work, or if I would have to resort to dial-up, and how would I find out how to do it unless I could get back on-line. Eventually, it dawned on me to check the power brick. It should be reading 12V (assuming it's regulated) but, no, it read 17 volts and some. I plugged in another PSU have the router has been fine so far.

The sync speed had dropped to 9.6 kbps whereas it should be around 14 kbps. Maybe it will re-train. I'm not sure whether to switch it off overnight or leave it switched on, or do I have to call BT to have the noice margin reset? Current readings are:

Down               Up
Connection Speed:     9623 kbps     1163 kbps
Line Attenuation:          32.0 db          16.5 db
Noise Margin:                 7.8 db            6.3 db

The downstream margin was at 16db earlier on so this has improved already but the sync speed hasn't changed.

Any recommendations?

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.--Ernest Hemingway

@micksharpe

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 10-Jun-15 00:25:50)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 10-Jun-15 02:25:09
Print Post

Re: Router instability

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Try for a profile reset, I think. Switching it off at all will probably make things worse, as the exchange will interpret it as instability.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 10-Jun-15 02:43:40
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

The router seems stable so I'll leave it switched on. The noise margins are bouncing around a bit so the next task is to check the house wiring before I call BT.

@micksharpe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 10-Jun-15 02:56:56
Print Post

Just had loss of sync again so it's not the power brick. frown

@micksharpe
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 10-Jun-15 07:53:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Eventually, it dawned on me to check the power brick. It should be reading 12V (assuming it's regulated) but, no, it read 17 volts and some. I plugged in another PSU have the router has been fine so far.
In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Just had loss of sync again so it's not the power brick. frown
Not necessarily- the (possibly) faulty power brick could have cooked something in the router so swapping it out has only stopped it progressing from medium rare to well done…

Only reliable test is to swap out the router, that's why I always have a spare.

Don't entirely agree with Camie about switching off- it should send a "last gasp" signal to the DSLAM so the DLM realises it's not a line problem. Otoh, I've never completely trusted this mechanism!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 10-Jun-15 12:31:45
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Only reliable test is to swap out the router, that's why I always have a spare.
I have a 2700HGV as well as the Westell. It just needs unlocking and a new power brick. I'll give it a go -- I can use my bench PSU. smile

@micksharpe
  Print Thread

Jump to