Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 14-Sep-15 23:11:40
Print Post

Microsoft display adapter connection

[link to this post]

I have bought a Microsoft Display Adapter, thinking that I should be able to connect wirelessly to my TV. Alas I discovered that my laptop is not Miracast compatible, despite the fact it had win 8.1 and now win 10. I don't recall that Microsoft explained this in their advertising. I trust and hope somebody will come up with a solution. There must be millions of PC/ laptops who lack the miracast facility. The only consolation for me is that my son' laptop has the facility and uses it on his visits.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 14-Sep-15 23:28:54
Print Post

Re: Microsoft display adapter connection

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Looking at this web page http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/... it certainly states that the device has to be Miracast enabled under the specification section. Same info on the Amazon UK site.

Edited by rogerfp (Mon 14-Sep-15 23:33:01)

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 14-Sep-15 23:51:36
Print Post

Might want to check this out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Actiontec-SBWD100TX01-Screen... or http://www.actiontec.com/299.html
It seems to suggest that it can add wireless display support to a laptop/PC that doesn't have it.

Edited by rogerfp (Mon 14-Sep-15 23:54:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User samulam
(committed) Tue 15-Sep-15 01:12:52
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Hi, the Microsoft advert refers to miracast enabled laptops, but also says will enables machines with win 8.1 to use the device. One is entitled to infer that all laptops with win 8.1 will be eligible. I have no way to test my laptop to establish if it has miracast capability or not.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(regular) Tue 15-Sep-15 07:29:57
Print Post

The Wireless Display Adapter is Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) certified and works with all Miracast-enabled Windows 8.1 devices and Miracast-enabled Android devices 4.2.1 and later.
That seems to be fairly clear.
Standard User samulam
(committed) Tue 15-Sep-15 11:25:41
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

OK, but you have not explained how is one to find out if a laptop has Miracast capability or not.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(regular) Tue 15-Sep-15 11:47:00
Print Post

You look at the manufacturer's specifications, or read the manual. Manufacturers don't tend to be reticent about advertising additional features of their products.

In Windows 8.1 look at what is available in the Devices/Project options (from the Devices charm). Most manufacturers will supply a driver to provide this capability (look on their website).
  Print Thread

Jump to