Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-15 20:14:54
Print Post

help. How to use a router only for webcam.

[link to this post]

Hi all. I run a weather station linked to a dedicated PC, which is connected via lan to my main internet router downstairs (which is also for our laptops etc.)

The main router is a special unit for WiMax and I dont want to touch it.

I want to add two CCTV cams onto my weather PC, wirelessly which will ultimately end on on the internet via my main router. . I have an old spare router. How do I get it to recognise and receive the router with the cams on , but also retain internet connection via the main router? Do I need to have the router in "bridge mode" Any help much appreciated.

Thanks all
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 20:56:09
Print Post

Re: help. How to use a router only for webcam.

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

I'm going to suggest something that a few people might disagree with: Don't use an old router for this purpose. In theory, yes it works, just turn off DHCP etc etc and it will act as a switch.

In practice: Routers (especially bargain bucket home ones) have a tendency to go back to factory settings et cetera, one day, this will happen, your old router will go back to factory settings and start giving out IP addresses, you will be scratching your head and wasting hours trying to figure out why it happened, not only will it break your two cameras, it might start breaking everything else as it starts giving out bogus IP addresses and takes duplicate IP of your real router.

You can get a cheapo wifi AP/ethernet switch for under £30 http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN604-100UKS-Wireles...

AAISP Home::1
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-15 21:06:22
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Pipexer, thank you for your suggestion. Unforunately I have absolutely no moneyvat the moment. I,ve got an old POBroadband Zygel router i,ve done a factory reset on, but thats all i,ve got for the moment so am trying to work out something with that. And yep, I know its a [censored] one, lol.

Theorectically i guess i could have them also feeding into the main Wimax router, but i,m concerned about bandwidth as i have no specs on it at all, also dontvwant to tie up what is already an under par expensive system

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 22:34:43
Print Post

Sure

OK all you need to do on the spare router (assuming some IT knowledge here)

-Set its management IP address to something which is NOT in use and is on the same subnet as your network - for example if its IP address is currently 192.168.1.1 - set it to 192.168.1.2 - because 192.168.1.1 will probably be used by your main router. Set it to something outside the DHCP range on the main router.
Ensure the management IP is on the same subnet. For example if your main network is currently 192.168.0.1, you will need to change the IP of the spare router to 192.168.0.2 as opposed to 192.168.1.2 - if that makes sense. Poke around in the settings to find it.
-Disable DHCP
-Disable WAN services etc, not needed.

- Can you run a cable between both the routers? This will avoid using bridge mode. If you can't, then you will need to configure the wireless mode to bridge/repeater, and you will need to make the SSID the same in that instance.

If you can get a cable run between them:

-Set wireless channel to a 1, 6, or 11 - one that your main router is not using, this will avoid interference. You can either set the SSID to the same as your main wifi (and hope the wifi cameras will choose the nearest AP), or, set the SSID to something different and then you can configure the wifi cameras onto that specific SSID. If you set the SSID the same, you must make the encyption setting the same.

Bit rushed but try that see how you get on, any questions come back and ask.

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:04:00
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks Pipexer, sorry for the delay in getting back. I'll give it a try next day or so and come back to you

cheers
woody

regards,
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 09:52:00
Print Post

Thank you pipexer, all done and working. Didnt need to adjust subnet, but otherwise all fine. Thanks very much!

regards,
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Oct-15 20:38:18
Print Post

That's great! and thanks for posting a follow up smile

Print Thread

Jump to