Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-15 14:36:04
Print Post

Asus Eeebook Pain...

[link to this post]

I brought an Eeebok X205TA a few months back and its WiFi wasn't too great to start with, however since the Windows 10 update which it was said to support at the time, the wifi has been near useless and now don't work at all, this is alongside other issues with performance.

I have reset Windows 10 twice since its first install and also done things the manufacturer recommended like latest drivers and bios... but seems to have only made it worse.

I've been in touch with Asus via theirs complaints form this time and still getting same rubbish however this time they linked some legislation claiming something along the lines of as the manufacturer they aren't responsible for giving refunds and only support.

As you can imagine Asus have said many times that they want me to go back to Windows 8.1 thought that isn't possible.

I've emailed them back to confirm I have attempted there troubleshooting again and that if they can't refund me would they give me an alternative modem that will live up to expectations...

What I'm unsure of is when I brought this device Asus's website said it would support Windows 10 when launched, however since these issues arising and complaints from all corners of the web going in they have removed this claim from the page and actually stop selling the device...

They have removed it from their webpage listings but it does still exist if directly URL'd , Should I expect Asus to deliver on the promise of Windows 10 capability, if not then will this stand up in a legal battle as I have no intentions of using it on Windows 8 due to wanting full capabilities with other Windows 10 devices and using it on Windows 8 will take away from the experience.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:46:41
Print Post

Re: Asus Eeebook Pain...

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

The legal responsibility lies with the vendor, not the manufacturer. Repair, replacement or full refund. It's up to the vendor but you are entitled to one of these providing that you were told that it would work with Windows 10. If not, they are within their rights to ask you to downgrade to Windows 8.1.

Edit: Since Asustek's website advertises a free upgrade to Windows 10, the implication is that the device will work with Windows 10 and that Asustek (not Microsoft) are promising this. You should print out these web pages before they take them down. They will be useful if you do not get satisfaction and have to go to a small claims court. If you can get the same "free upgrade to Windows 10" statement from the vendor's website (remember to print it), even better since they will also be in on the promise.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 09-Nov-15 17:06:26)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-15 23:11:23
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Hi, Thanks for the information you have provided,

I'm still awaiting a reply from Asus, but in the meantime if Asus cannot fix my issues are they obliged to provide me with the experience I was promised (Eg. Windows 10)...

I brought the Eeebook from PC World, as you can imagine I contacted them after Asus told me to get a refund and they probably laughed as they sent an email back saying nope, were not responsible and claimed they didn't sell it as Windows 10 capable (however I've no proof)

This is typical of PC World and one of the many reasons I don't buy stuff off them normally...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 09-Nov-15 23:50:18
Print Post

Their website has plenty to say about running Windows 10 on an X205TA:
Windows 10 If you're an experienced Windows user you'll be pleased with the return of the familiar Start button and menu, while everyone will benefit from the many new and exciting features designed to make accessing what matters to you quick and easy. Windows 10 features the new Edge browser, which gives you a much bigger viewing area for enjoying your online content at its best. You can write notes directly onto web pages and share them with anyone - perfect for students or business. Working between different software or keeping an eye on social media while you work has never been easier; you can now snap up to four apps to any location on the screen for effortless multitasking. You can even create individual desktops for specific projects and tasks. Whatever you're doing, Windows 10 makes your PC work the way you want. How to upgrade to Windows 10 Installing your free upgrade is easy. Simply select the option to upgrade when you first switch on your PC. If you'd rather try out Windows 8.1 first, you can choose to upgrade at a later date by clicking the Windows icon in the tool bar at the bottom right of the screen.
You're going to have to dig around and be persistent, and you need to speak to someone face-to-face. Is there anything on the packaging or documentation to say that it is Windows 10 compatible? Did you ask when you bought it or did you buy on-line? Did you get an invitation to upgrade to Windows 10 when you switched the machine on (or at some later time)?

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-15 00:36:10
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Awesome, thanks for digging that up for me...

I brought it online, I got prompted to update to Windows 10...

I think I'll wait for Asus to come back to me and if I hear nothing tomorrow I'll try giving the number in the email a call and see what happens...

I can say one thing though... I won't be buying anything Asus again.... brought an expensive router and this simple notebook and both have been a pain...

I did a recommended firmware upgrade last week on AC87U.... I even read through the notes and no where did it say this will kill access to the router and it will required a factory reset.... Asus seem to think this is acceptable.

I haven't even finished setting it back up yet... very annoyed... I'm absolutely outraged with how technology has NOT advanced over the last 18-24 months...

I've got a Virgin Media Super Hub Self Install due on Thursday to separate some no crucial devices from the Expensive network and honestly looking forward to the simplicity.... I don't even care if the speeds going to go [censored] in the evenings... I've tried one of the best providers on IMO one of the best connections going yet services externally cannot keep up.

I was thinking about moving a lot of my devices back to Microsoft but I think I'll give that a miss based on the lack of support from them and the rubbish they sell.

I'm sorry to drone on, but I miss the simple days frown .... and issues such as the ones highlighted above really get on my nerves.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:50:47
Print Post

You say that it wasn't that great on wifi before the upgrade, so are you sure there isn't an external problem that's causing this. For example are you using this somewhere you've never tried with another machine.

For what its worth I had a problem with wifi on a Win10 laptop. On many occasion it wouldn't connect after power on. I did some digging and found two things that I changed. Firstly, the network card was set to have its power controlled by the cpu so it could go into low power mode when idle. Also the setup had configured the laptop to think it was on a Public Network rather than my home Private Network.

Now I can't say if either of these was responsible for the problem but since changing them, I've had no problems.

Personally I dislike Win10 and this is only a play machine. One of the biggest gripes is the forced updates which I'm convinced are breaking things that didn't need fixing. Plus they seem to undo some of my privacy settings
Standard User TinyMongomery
(committed) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:52:55
Print Post

You don't say whether you have installed the wirless driver from the Asus website ( https://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks/ASUS_EeeBook_X205T... ). Can we assume that you have?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-15 11:46:31
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Sorry if this seems a bit out of toe, but Yes of course I have...

I have installed all the latest drivers and bios....

I've setup a return to Asus for repair but my issue is Asus has now pulled the device from sale (I wonder why??) and they are saying that it can be returned to 8.1 which isn't what I brought it for...

I can assure you that all test conditions haver been tested.... everything else works fine... just this device.

Now forgive me for being rude, but I didn't come here to do a step by step run around of troubleshooting, I've already done that countless times over the last few months, I wanted to know where I stood legally more than anything.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Tue 10-Nov-15 12:07:31
Print Post

We're just trying to help you. We have no idea what you may have done to resolve your problem or what level of experience you have.

If its legal advice you want then consult a solicitor.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-15 12:32:48
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Helping would of been reading the original post?

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I have reset Windows 10 twice since its first install and also done things the manufacturer recommended like latest drivers and bios...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to