Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:23:47
Print Post

Secure boot

[link to this post]

Not really an issue just a surprise. I have not really looked at the bios or UEFI of my computer for a while, I did update it last year, but did not take much notice of it apart.
I was having a root in there yesterday as I have been having a problem and thought maybe something in the settings have changed and noticed Secure boot. I know it was not in there before, so it must have been added on the update. I did not think it could be added and was built into the hardware, but it seems like I was wrong.

I have no reason to switch it on, just surprised it was there.

i still did not sort my problem out, may be a restore from my backup is needed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:11:53
Print Post

Re: Secure boot

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/17058-secure-bo...

Warning
Arm based Windows RT PCs and devices will have a locked boot loader, so you will not be able to disabled secure boot on them.

If you have a Windows 8.1 device that has the device encryption feature turned on and disable secure boot, then you may not be able to access the data on the disk until you enable secure boot again.

Do not enable secure boot with Windows 7, Vista, or XP installed. If you do, these OSs will not boot until secure boot is disabled.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 18:02:36
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

thanks, but I know what secure boot is, it is Microsoft's way to try and stop people using other operating systems, under the pretence of them keeping us safe.

Worse now with Windows 10 devices as at least with Windows 8 devices Ms said that hardware must be able to switch to turn secure boot off, only because the Linux crowd complained. But with Windows 10 devices MS have dropped that requirement.

So if I other buy another laptop I will have to look very carefully, it should be ok with motherboards.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 06-Jan-16 20:11:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I know what secure boot is, it is Microsoft's the NSA's way to try and stop people using other operating systems, under the pretence of them keeping us safe.
Allow me to correct that for you. Microsoft has become the US government's poodle.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 21:50:44
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
I know what secure boot is, it is Microsoft's the NSA's way to try and stop people using other operating systems, under the pretence of them keeping us safe.
Allow me to correct that for you. Microsoft has become the US government's poodle.

LOL

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 07-Jan-16 00:18:21
Print Post

It's not like unix-based OS require masses of hardware anyway.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 09:07:05
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:

The problem was and still is for some Linux distros is that they would not work on machines with secure boot.
Ubuntu will now and a few others, but mint won't

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 07-Jan-16 14:53:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:

The problem was and still is for some Linux distros is that they would not work on machines with secure boot.
Ubuntu will now and a few others, but mint won't

With secure boot enabled. Secure boot itself is a good thing, and every PC lets you turn it off if you want to run linux distros that are not signed.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Thu 07-Jan-16 15:05:52
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

I haven't seen a laptop (Intel) yet where you can't disable secure boot. And, if such a beast exists and you want to install Linux, you'd be pretty foolish to buy it. It would be like buying an iPhone and then complaining that it wouldn't run Windows.

It will always be possible to buy laptops that come with no operating system installed and are designed to be used with any OS.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 19:41:02
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I haven't seen a laptop (Intel) yet where you can't disable secure boot. And, if such a beast exists and you want to install Linux, you'd be pretty foolish to buy it. It would be like buying an iPhone and then complaining that it wouldn't run Windows.

It will always be possible to buy laptops that come with no operating system installed and are designed to be used with any OS.

The reason why you have not seen a laptop without being able to turn Secure boot off is because MS would not allow it and be marked as made for Windows 8.1, but with Windows 10 they will allow it we could see machines that will not allow secure boot to be switched off.

I wish you would stop trying to compare a computer with a phone, it is not the same thing.
As for buying a laptop without a OS they are normally more expensive for some silly reason, I suppose that what you get when you have a monopoly.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to