Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 09:39:26
Print Post

Last update for my computer

[link to this post]

For a while anyway.

I have got myself a 240GB Corsair Neutron XT, going to pick it up in a bit from the post office around the corner. I hope the transfer will go ok. My original SSD corsair 120GB SSD will be used as a scratch drive for the video editor.
The one problem is once this drive is installed, then Linux will be gone off this machine unless I stick it on the 500GB Seagtate hybrid drive. That could be a good idea as I will not need that drive to store software as all I use would fit on the new SSD.

As i said, this will be the last update for a while as long as the main board keeps working as that is getting on.

Updated video card to AMD R9 280 with 3GB of ram last year and also the CPU to a AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor 4Ghz, already got 8GB of Ram.

So hopefully it will last me for a while,

This forum should be renamed Hardware discussion and the software one should be software discussion. Just a thought.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-16 10:29:26
Print Post

Re: Last update for my computer

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
This forum should be renamed Hardware discussion and the software one should be software discussion. Just a thought.
Are you suggesting merging "Windows Issues", "Linux Issues", and "Apple Issues" into one forum called "Software Discussion"? I'm not convinced that that would be a good move; I find it useful to have topics for the separate operating systems kept separate.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 11:41:01
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Are you suggesting merging "Windows Issues", "Linux Issues", and "Apple Issues" into one forum called "Software Discussion"? I'm not convinced that that would be a good move; I find it useful to have topics for the separate operating systems kept separate.

Windows discussion then instead of Windows issues. Because people do not always have issue.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-16 11:47:57
Print Post

The primary meaning of "issue" is
A point or matter of discussion, debate, or dispute
so I'd say the current titles are fine.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 12:06:12
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Looking it at that way maybe you are right.

Just cloning Windows across to the other drive, hopefully all will work as it should.

Also decided to move the front panel USB3 ports to the top of the case and the Blu-ray burner to the second bay, then when I use the DVD burner it don't try to pull the external drives off the top of the case.

There was some dust in the machine, It was opened in March, in fact looking at the order list and the date is pretty scary that it have been 10 months more or less since I updated the CPU and graphics. Time seems to fly by.

So now I have a 250GB Hitachi drive that I am not sure what to use it for. I may stick it in the old machine when I get it back up and running, which will be when I get the PSU back for it which is on loan.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 12-Jan-16 12:16:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I have got myself a 240GB Corsair Neutron XT...
The Neutrons have a really good reputation. I shall probably get one soon, albeit a smaller model but large enough to hold Windows and my software. I keep my data files on mirrored hard drives.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 15:40:48
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
The Neutrons have a really good reputation. I shall probably get one soon, albeit a smaller model but large enough to hold Windows and my software. I keep my data files on mirrored hard drives.

They have gone down a fair bit in price, mind cost under £79 and it was certainly more than that last year when I was thinking of getting one the same time as I updated the CPU and video card.
I already got a 120GB corsair force 3 which cost me £147 in August 2011. So proves how much the prices have gone down. The Neutron is a better drive and a larger capacity.
I needed something a bit larger.

My video files are backed up onto a external drive over night and files I am working on is also backed up.

The 240Gb is the smallest they do in the Neutron version, they do smaller capacities in their force chipset products. i got mine from Amazon.

Corsair memory and storage is really good, not so sure about their other products, I did not get on with their liquid cooling, I sent three back one after the other and gave up in the end and went back to air. I also got a Corsair K65 RGB, while the keys are good and it feels nice, a couple of the LEDs are playing up also the wrist rest is not that great and a bit have broken of that holds it to the keyboard.

I was going to get the normal K65, but I did not like some of the keys having different tops.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to