Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:13:03
Print Post

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB

[link to this post]

I've bought a couple of these for my backups. They pack an incredible amount of storage into a very small space. It will be interesting to see how reliable they are. I bought two par mesure de sÚcuritÚ. I may buy a third so that I can rotate them and always keep one off-site.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 22:17:02
Print Post

Re: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Where do you keep them offsite? I only have a 500gb WD Essentials and its kept in the concrete garage.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 12-Jan-16 22:27:16
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I haven't decided yet. I'm still testing them. I'll see if I can keep them at the place where I volunteer.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jan-16 22:43:58
Print Post

I have the same for off-site backup. From time to time one of our sons and I swap drives - he lived in London but now lives about 15 miles away so we're able to do this more often.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 13:19:18
Print Post

I have a USB 3 Seagate 1TB expansion drive, it does the job, I don't normally like Seagate, but it seems more reliable than the external 2TB Toshiba one I got.

some software I got says there are problems with Thh tosh, but when I do a sector check on it, everything is fine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 13-Jan-16 17:41:07
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

With backup drives, it is best to be conservative and choose tried-and-tested technology instead of going for devices that push current technology to the limit as I have. However, I need more than 1TB and I need it to be very compact, so I have chosen these Seagate drives. I have no idea how reliable they will prove to be, so I have bought two and will probably buy another in case one of them fails. You read horror stories of people who buy just one backup drive and then find that it stops working when they need it the most. They know that the drives in their PCs may fail but they don't consider that backup drives can also fail.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jan-16 18:50:35
Print Post

+1

I have 2 on-site backups and 1 off-site. Maybe over the top but given that drives are relatively inexpensive it's a small investment for the peace of mind it brings.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 21:28:29
Print Post

The problem I had with Seagate over the years is reliability or the lack of it, I have had a couple of internal Seagate drives go down on me.
i have used a few makes over the years, Conner, Maxtor, Quantum, Seagate, Hitachi and Toshiba.

My computer now have 240GB Cosari Neutron SSD, a 120GB corsair force 3, a 2TB Toshiba and a 500GB Seagate hybrid.

Externally I have a Seagate 1TB, a Toshiba 2TB which I do not trust as the smart data says it have a problem, this thread have made me look at the warranty and it is for two years, so I can still claim. i only had it for just over a year.

i also have a old 1 TB Hitachi 3.5 inch and a 8 year 1TB buffalo NAS drive which is still working, slow it may be but oh so useful. I am shocked it is still working, I have no idea what drive is in it, but I know at the time it cost me over £300

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 13-Jan-16 21:58:47
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The hard drives in the Seagate units are manufactured by Samsung apparently, so here's hoping. It seems to be the USB controllers that fail rather than the drives. Some users of failed units have extracted the hard drives and connected them to SATA controllers and they have worked just fine. OK, you lose your warranty (and the case) but you stand a reasonable chance of getting your data back plus a usable disk drive. Seagate charge $450 for their data recovery service. All they do is remove the hard drive, test it and bung it in a new case. Go figure.

btw: These drives are not available bare yet, so if you want one for your laptop...

Edit: Belay that. They are, but only in 9.5mm height. Still... fine for a laptop.

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 13-Jan-16 22:22:26)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 12:06:51
Print Post

Just orderedthis from Argos, I don't normally like large capacity drives, but at the price it is good, works out just under £25 a TB.

I found out my Toshiba 2GB have a 2 year warranty on it, so that is being sent back to Tosh in Germany once I can get off my backside to ring up the courier to collect it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to