Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-16 12:14:01
Print Post

what can a 60GB SSd be used for

[link to this post]

Tomorrow I am going to update a work colleague computer, swapping the 60GB SSD to a 240GB SSD, more space and faster. Then updating his Windows 7 to Windows 10 ( oh good grief).

Anyway, I will be leaving the 60GB in as a second drive, but was wondering what on earth could it be used for? The machine is a gaming machine more than anything else.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-16 21:20:31
Print Post

Re: what can a 60GB SSd be used for

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Paging space, scratch space, archive, I use a small 20gb drive to archive programs I might need in the future.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 23-Jan-16 03:18:13
Print Post

Plug it into another machine that hasn't got an SSD?

Belay that. Since it is a gaming machine, it must be his own. Tell him that it's not much use and suggest that he sell it?

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Sat 23-Jan-16 03:20:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neo_wales
(newbie) Sat 23-Jan-16 04:45:26
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Not worth selling Mick, anything under half a gig is only handy for backing up files these days and he'd only get a few quid if he or she tried to flog it.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 08:46:32
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Paging space, scratch space, archive, I use a small 20gb drive to archive programs I might need in the future.

Paging space could be a good idea, since he only play games on it I doubt it would be used as a scratch drive.

I do not even know what this computer looks like, I know it is a I5, with some pretty decent video card in and lots of memory, with at least one SSD in.

I will leave the old drive in anyway as it is a tower there is plenty of space for it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 08:48:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Plug it into another machine that hasn't got an SSD?

Belay that. Since it is a gaming machine, it must be his own. Tell him that it's not much use and suggest that he sell it?

Only one machine they got as far as I know, not worth selling, I doubt they would get a tenner for it, sad really since it cost them £160 when new. Just shows how technology have changed, that is how much I paid for my 120GB more or less 3.5 years back, now and I paid less than £100 for my 420GB corsair a couple of weeks back

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 23-Jan-16 09:01:30
Print Post

Using it for the paging file (and any temporary files) is a good idea. You might as well flog the old drive to death.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 23-Jan-16 11:15:29
Print Post

Main drive image backups.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 11:35:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Using it for the paging file (and any temporary files) is a good idea. You might as well flog the old drive to death.

I got to find out in Windows 10 where the paging file settings are, since they mucked the control panel up, but it seems a good idea.

I think to be honest I may also take some hard drive monitor software with me, i need to know how much life the old drive have left,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 11:44:38
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Main drive image backups.

Apart from the fact the drive replacing it is larger, it could have been a good idea. they have got a 3TB external drive for backups anyway so I have been told.

Just making sure I got what I need, including some screws for the drive, just in case it is needed. I know they ordered a converter so the drive will fit into their case, not sure if they will need it or not as I have no idea what is inside their case, nor do they smile Also a spare sata cable, just in case. Their computer was built by some company on line, so I have no idea what they left or took out of the case/motherboard box.

Going to use Macirum reflect to do the cloning unless someone have A better idea before I go, be leaving here about 1 ish as I am meeting someone for a coffee first.

I found it worked fine on mine to clone from the 120 to the 240, after I found out how to expand the partition with it smile

My only worry is the update of windows 10, i was going to download it here and stick it on a disk, but it don't come up with OEm on the options, just Windows 10, Windows 10 home single Langage and Windows 10 n

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to