Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 07:13:22
Print Post

AT PSU

[link to this post]

A mate of mine have a old 233 machine, but the switch have gone belly up on it, is there any place to get these switches from?

Failing that then I will have to stick the P2 motherboard in that is lying around and use a ATX psu, but it is being bothered to do that.

Thanks.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 07:52:35
Print Post

Re: AT PSU

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

What is a "233 machine"? Do you have a manufacturer and model no for the computer or the PSU?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 08:49:40
Print Post

I suspect your only chance at getting an AT PSU would be second hand. You may have to buy a complete second hand PC to get the PSU though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 11:13:52
Print Post

Maplin for switch?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 18:39:16
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
What is a "233 machine"? Do you have a manufacturer and model no for the computer or the PSU?

233Mhz Pentium computer, home built as i built it many years ago. I thought you would know what a AT PSU is?

A AT PSU is a AT PSU, ok so there was some strange sizes like there is with ATX.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 18:39:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I suspect your only chance at getting an AT PSU would be second hand. You may have to buy a complete second hand PC to get the PSU though.

that was my thought as well.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 18:40:42
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Maplin for switch?

I thought of that, not sure what pole they are, will have to check it out and have a wander to Maplins next week.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:23:05
Print Post

I know what an AT PSU is. Just buy another one off eBay; there are plensitch? The latter is available onty there. Otherwise, bypass the switch. I doubt you will find the switch that you want for less than the cost of a PSU.

PS - do you mean the switch in the PSU itself or the case switch? The latter is available on eBay for less than a fiver.

Edited by TinyMongomery (Wed 10-Feb-16 19:32:31)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-16 09:22:14
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I know what an AT PSU is. Just buy another one off eBay; there are plensitch? The latter is available onty there. Otherwise, bypass the switch. I doubt you will find the switch that you want for less than the cost of a PSU.

PS - do you mean the switch in the PSU itself or the case switch? The latter is available on eBay for less than a fiver.

I did not think about Ebay for the switch, thanks for that, as you said there is one on there for just under a fiver, I will have to ask my mate, as you said we could bypass the switch and turn of and on at the mains. It is the case switch.

I thought of something last night in that i have not really seen this switch as it is properly, I just had a peak at it and it looks like it is just pressed in, but Maybe the mount it is on is broken, I will have to take a proper look next week. Thankfully the machine have not been required for a while, but he wants to get it back up and running as it is required soon.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-16 11:50:36
Print Post

Are you sure it isn't a soft switch rather than hard switch (ie doesn't have a physical on/off position)? If it is a soft switch then can they be bypassed the PC would probably just default to off if using the switch on the PSU. Also, how is the switch connected to the PSU? Is it easily swappable?

Haven't worked on PCs with AT motherboards/PSUs in a very long time so can't really remember exactly what the switches were like. I am assuming the switch is wired to the PSU rather than to the motherboard? If not then it is only the switch that needs replacing and replacing the PSU wouldn't replace the switch.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to