Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Feb-16 19:11:25
Print Post

External Drive

[link to this post]

I like to use a couple of 1TB external drives - one for a weekly back up with Macrium, the other for some files/folders that I like to keep a second back up of, and it has a file that my web programme uses for updates.

The latter has started clicking a bit (Samsung Story), so I think it's time to transfer the contents to another drive.

I've looked for a 1TB drive that has an on/off switch or power button as do the two I have, but apart from a LaCie 3TB Porsche, none seem to have that.

Anyone know of one (1 or 2 TB ) with an on/off switch/button ?

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 12:44:27
Print Post

Re: External Drive

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

I assume you're referring ot 2 5" drives that take their power from the USB port.

I'm never come across one that has an On/Off switch, I suppose you could achieve something similar by connecting it (them?) to a powered USB hub and switching the hub off.

An alternative is to use 3.5" drives which have their own power supply. I use these and only switch them on (using an Energenie 4-way Radio Controlled Surge Protected Socket)

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 13:20:16
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Both the ones I currently have are 3.5" (LaCie Poulton & Samsung Story). They have USB leads and power leads which are plugged into a Belkin Surgemaster.
It's the Samsung that's clicking a little, so that's the one I'll replace.

Most of what I see available are 2.5" and have no power switch/button, and just USB.

Hadn't thought of a powered USB hub, but seeing I only use one at a time, wouldn't most of them switch both on/off at the same time?

I do see this one that appears to have individual power buttons:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Multifunctional-Power...

..and another with no mains lead, but it's got a very short USB lead - perhaps better used with laptops:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Sw...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 22:20:32
Print Post

I've got a 1TB 2.5" in a really cheap external enclosure. It doesn't have a switch and I leave it plugged in to one of my USB ports all the time. It automatically powers down when not in use and I think this is the default behaviour by the USB drivers in WIndows. You can change this behaviour in the Power Management tab in the properties settings for the USB port within Device Manager. I guess that the thinking is that since Windows 'manages' the power state there's no need for a switch.
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 00:29:46
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Thanks - enclosures and drives bought separately are new to me.
This one was recommended to me earlier today - it does have a power switch:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V8KQE6/ref=s9...

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 17-Feb-16 08:16:53
Print Post

Sounds like a good plan. Drives were always separate, the all-in-one disk in an enclosure is a relatively new idea.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Feb-16 10:08:45
Print Post

Difficult to find one with a power switch these days, I got myself a 4TB Seagate a few weeks back, so I have stuck it on a remote socket and use that to switch it off. Saying that my old Hitachi have been plugged in for years and still fine, it spins done after a while.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:29:40
Print Post

Whjy do you need one with on/off button? Self powered are so much more convenient and you can get sizes of 4TB in that form too. Simply unplug from USB port to "switch off".

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 13:37:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sounds like a good plan. Drives were always separate, the all-in-one disk in an enclosure is a relatively new idea.

It's either that or a powered hub with individually switched ports ..I like that idea.

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Difficult to find one with a power switch these days, I got myself a 4TB Seagate a few weeks back, so I have stuck it on a remote socket and use that to switch it off. Saying that my old Hitachi have been plugged in for years and still fine, it spins done after a while.
Not many around with switches - found a LaCie Porsche 3TB with a switch, but at just under £100, I'd be paying for a lot more space than I need.

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Whjy do you need one with on/off button? Self powered are so much more convenient and you can get sizes of 4TB in that form too. Simply unplug from USB port to "switch off".
I suppose I just prefer them with a power switch - the way my computer is, I'd need to crawl under the desk each time, or lift the drives up and unplug them, possibly losing a cable down the back of the desk now and then ...either way, it's less simple than just feeling for a switch on the drive and turning it off for me.

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 18:12:55
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Agree and the worst thing you can do is to constantly power off and power on electrical devices. Keeping them on all the time is far less damaging. The power surge when switching on can be the kiss of death, think when do most light bulbs fail?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to