Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-16 07:56:05
Print Post

New PC required - please recommend PC Builder

[link to this post]

I always bought my PC from the likes of Dell and on the whole it was fine with no major issues. My needs are very modest: office apps, browsing, no gaming (light for kids maybe - online only), streaming.

However, I got a new XPS 8900 (Windows 10) a couple of days ago and I am not sure about it. On the whole it is fast but from time time feels like it hangs or stops responding while opening something simple.

On top of that yesterday I was prompted by Dell Update that there is a new critical BIOS update, that I have promptly installed. Since then it got much noisier with what seems like a PSU fan going non-stop. It was very quiet before BIOS update.

I tried to restore the previous version of BIOS but that didn't help. I am sure this might be fixable with some suport from Dell but I am thinking about returning it and getting a new one built to my spec with SSD and other better components.

My main question is what are recommended decent PC builders these days with good customer after sales support. My quick search results show are that Scan, Novatech and Chillblast are apparently good.

Would anyone recommend one over another and why. Any other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Feb-16 08:41:42
Print Post

Re: New PC required - please recommend PC Builder

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

I've always found Novatech good for pre built stuff and often cheaper than buying and building the individual parts.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-16 09:35:40
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks, Novatech looks very good and together with Chillblast seem to have the highest ratings on Trustpilot.

I'll be making phone calls later today to ask for advice on spec and get an idea of their customer service.

Edit: It appears that Chillblast only open Monday to Friday.

Edited by alext05 (Sat 20-Feb-16 09:47:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Feb-16 10:03:24
Print Post

For me, their CS has always been excellent.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!

Edited by Deadbeat (Sat 20-Feb-16 10:04:39)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Feb-16 11:02:02
Print Post

I've used Novatech for many years and have always found their products to be of good quality and their CS second to none. A particular plus for me is the fact that they will supply computers without an OS.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Feb-16 13:11:47
Print Post

Overclockersare pretty good as well, but they are not cheap. I never understood the fascination of Dell, I have not seen a decent Dell machine unless you spend a small fortune

I worked on a machine from Novatech a couple of months ago and was impressed by the build quality, the cable routing inside was really good.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-16 13:12:38
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Thanks to all of you for positive feedback about Novatech. I am going to keep this in mind and glad that I have researched PC builders for the future. I'll be definitely keeping Novatech at the top of my list but, oh dear, I have just managed to fix my old computer that xps 8900 was replacing.

It was a faulty graphics card that was causing it not to boot up properly (I should have tried it before really) and getting Dell ready for returning back focused my mind on investigating the problem I had one more time, as I knew there would be some waiting time for custom-built PC.
Iíll now focus on investigating a good, quiet and reasonably-priced custom setup with SSD and Skylake CPU.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-16 13:22:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Dell is a convenience thing and many people not that aware of the small PC builders I guess.

I have bought Dell from John Lewis due to their two year warranty and so the return is easy - I am just going to take it back to my nearest Waitrose. Also I had a mouse missing from delivery which was a bit annoying.

Interestingly, they (JL) have removed the machine from their website now.

But from now on, it's the reputable local PC builders for me for the exact specifications and hopefully better build and service.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Feb-16 13:23:45
Print Post

If you really want custom, self building is pretty simple, particularly if you opt for a "motherboard bundle" as a base to start from. You'll need to do a little research on whether x component sits well with y component but you do get exactly what you want.
However, for your needs, I think prebuilt would probably be a cheaper option.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User neo_wales
(newbie) Sat 20-Feb-16 14:23:19
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Another vote for Novatech, used them for years; great company.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to