Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Wed 06-Apr-16 17:24:03
Print Post

Canon MG6650 printer

[link to this post]

I do rate this (already obsolescent) printer/scanner. However it's irritating that it insists on going into an automatic cleaning procedure far too frequently, with consequent waste of ink and, as I've only recently found out, shortening of life of the machine. Is there any way round this please? I live in hope of a parameter hidden away somewhere!

Yes I do appreciate that, like many others, I don't do a mass of printing these days. Would it make any difference if I didn't power off every night then up again each morning?
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Apr-16 17:41:11
Print Post

Re: Canon MG6650 printer

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Must admit that my colour printer is only switched on I actually need it, which is typically every couple of weeks or so.

All my 'everyday' printing is on a mono laser (HP Laserjet 1320) that I've had since November 2006 (crikey, I didn't realise I'd had it that long); even that's only switched every few days when I have a need to print.

I certainly wouldn't switch either of them on every day.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Wed 06-Apr-16 18:17:28
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Sorry, I miswrote.

Currently I do power off the whole config every evening. It goes way back to old fashioned safety considerations which arguably no longer apply. But I only power up the Canon when I need to print, which isn't every day.

The other reason I'm wondering about changing my routine is that when I power up the pc itself, certainly most mornings, Kaspersky suddenly wakes up and goes into its long-winded checking procedure, which also seems like overkill.

Edited by spranglebolt (Wed 06-Apr-16 18:20:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Apr-16 19:21:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Sorry, I miswrote.

Currently I do power off the whole config every evening. It goes way back to old fashioned safety considerations which arguably no longer apply. But I only power up the Canon when I need to print, which isn't every day.
Ah, ok then.
In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
The other reason I'm wondering about changing my routine is that when I power up the pc itself, certainly most mornings, Kaspersky suddenly wakes up and goes into its long-winded checking procedure, which also seems like overkill.
I use Avast! which, I'd guess like many or most AV programs, does something similar, a rootkit scan at least. To be honest though it doesn't take more than a minute or so - at least that I've noticed.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 13:37:30
Print Post

I think most inkjet printers, that are used infrequently, tend to clean the heads with an exorbitant amount of ink.

I also use a B&W laser for everyday printing. Samsung wireless printer from Staples was cheap at £39.99 and it's over a year old with 30% of toner left

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
  Print Thread

Jump to