Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hgm671
(newbie) Wed 04-May-16 20:28:22
Print Post

Laptop won't boot after RAM upgrade

[link to this post]

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L650-1MC running on Windows 10. The original spec is here.

I've just tried upgrading from 4GB to 8GB, which the kit can support. However, each time I boot I receive a "Kernel Security Check Failure" from Windows 10 which then forces it to restart. I can't even get into any recovery modes. I've checked in the BIOS and the RAM is recognised at 8192MB, but i have no options there at all to adjust memory settings (I am on the latest BIOS version).

I've also tried running Memtest86 on boot from a USB, but this starts and then is interrupted after a few seconds by Windows trying to start and then the pc shuts down.

The modules im using are these. Have I got the wrong ones? I did check a couple of times and this is also what Crucial's system scanner recommended.

I have read a recommendation of downgrading back to Windows 7 and then trying the new RAM. Is there any other solution or way around this?
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-16 22:51:07
Print Post

Re: Laptop won't boot after RAM upgrade

[re: hgm671] [link to this post]

As far as I can find out, DDR3L RAM is only supported on 3rd Generation (or later) i5s. The i5-480M is a 1st Generation processor. I wonder if that computer came with different processors in newer incarnations?

I would be inclined to go back to Crucial about this - they guarantee that recommended RAM will work. I see that all the RAM they list for that computer is DDR3L-1600, whereas your specifications say DDR3-1066. Alternatively, it may be that a setting in the BIOS needs to be changed for the different RAM; Crucial should be able to advise you on this.

(Edit) Oops - I've just seen you say there are no BIOS options for RAM, so it can't be that. In that case I'd be inclined to try RAM with the same specification (apart from size) as the original.

Edited by TinyMongomery (Wed 04-May-16 22:53:03)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 08:38:19
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Speed of ram don't normally make a difference in compatibility, if you use a ram which is faster than the computer will cope it will adjust.

@hgm671 Have you tired sticking one memory module in at a time and see if that works, swap them around a bit, you could have a faulty module.

I am trying to think why when you booted up with memtest, it only got part way and then windows tried to start. .

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-May-16 08:54:45
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Speed of ram don't normally make a difference in compatibility
True, but voltage does.

If the memory was bought from Crucial the simple answer is to contact them.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 19:16:52
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
True, but voltage does.

If the memory was bought from Crucial the simple answer is to contact them.

True, i thought about that this evening when I was out sorting out some ones computer

Yep, best to contact crucial, they are pretty good.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User hgm671
(newbie) Mon 09-May-16 13:22:27
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the responses - unfortunately Crucial weren't much use and after an hour of struggling to hear a distant American over a dodgy VOIP connection they just offered a refund.

I also downgraded back to Windows 7 and tried again, once more 8Gb recognised in the BIOS but still won't boot into Windows. It's been suggested by a friend to take the CMOS out and see if that resets things - but disassembling the whole laptop to find it is a bit beyond me.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-16 16:16:17
Print Post

[re: hgm671] [link to this post]

2 x 4GB or 1 x 8GB.

If x2 then does just 1 stick work?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User hgm671
(newbie) Tue 10-May-16 10:47:31
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

2 x 4GB, I've tried various combinations but anything with even just one of the new boards in, on its own or mixed prevents it booting up.

My only remaining thought is the original boards are low density and the new stuff crucial supplied is high density.
  Print Thread

Jump to