Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jun-16 13:12:55
Print Post

RAM problem

[link to this post]

Running Win 10 Pro. Very occasionally I get a BSOD which refers top a memory problem. I've run Memtest86 this morning here's a photo of the results. Clearly there's a problem.

Motherboard is Gigabyte P55-USB3; there are four 2GB DIMMs of Corsair Vengeance LP Black memory, they're about four and a half years old.

Trying to understand the results. Am I right in thinking that's there just 1 bit in error? It would seem from the MemTest web site that there's no straightforward way in determining, from these results, the DIMM that's in error, so it's down to individual DIMM testing by removal, swapping, etc. I realise there could be a memory slot problem, so I'll check for that possibility in the process.

One thought that does occur ot me. As & when I find the fault, and assuming it's a DIMM, what do I replace it with? Individual 2GB DIMMs of that brand are no longer available. What could I put in its place? Take two 2GB DIMMs out and replace by a 4 or 8GB?

Is there any real benefit of increasing RAM? I don't game; run very basic video editing, trimming and similar. Similarly basic audio editing using Audacity.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jun-16 16:09:27
Print Post

Re: RAM problem

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Found the faulty DIMM on the third test configuration and tried that DIMM in 2 separate slots, failed in both. Not a slot problem. Just rerunning MemTest with only the other 3 DIMMs, looking good.

Now to see if Corsair's lifetime warranty applies, I know the date (6 January 2012) & cost, but no longer have the receipt - unless the dealer can find it for me.

Tony
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 19-Jun-16 19:18:13
Print Post

If it has a lifetime warranty then why do you actually need a receipt?

You may find that you need to replace a pair - depending on motherboard so make them aware of it when in contact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jun-16 20:07:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
That thought had crossed my mind. I'm trying to be prepared - just in case.
You may find that you need to replace a pair - depending on motherboard so make them aware of it when in contact.
Indeed, though the 2GB version is no longer available as far as I can see.

Tony
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-16 10:16:12
Print Post

You may still need a Receipt to prove that you DID purchase the relevant Memory Sticks from them, not from some body else I think!!

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 20-Jun-16 10:34:24
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

At over 4 years old I would expect to be claiming direct with the manufacturer or their UK agent. Would it matter if they were purchased through a retailer, wholesaler or direct? Provided they can see the actual product and confirm it is an original then what extra does a receipt demonstrate?

I am currently going through a claim with a UK manufacturer who offers a 50 year warranty on their products. Two have failed - I could possibly find a receipt from 6 or 7 years back, although I do not know where the items were purchased from however they have not asked for anything apart from the failed items to be returned - once tested and failure confirmed which is not in doubt, they will replace them and offer compensation to me for the time taken to remove and replace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jun-16 11:24:12
Print Post

The only reason I can think is that some warranties are not transferrable - therefore if you bought it second hand the "lifetime" warranty may not be valid.

And a quick search:

Corsair provides a non-transferable warranty to the purchaser of Corsair hardware product purchased from an authorized Corsair reseller

Corsair warranty page

Also:

1.A valid proof of purchase is required for RMA processing (i.e. receipt, invoice, copy of credit card statement).

Edited by ian72 (Mon 20-Jun-16 11:26:54)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jun-16 13:04:07
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

They have indeed asked for a receipt - or copy thereof - which I'm trying to get hold of. I have the CC statement containing the purchase but as that only identifies the retailer not the product, it's meaningless for this purpose.

They've also asked for photos of the DIMMs to determine the other DIMMof the pair. I'd already taken such photos grin

Tony
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jun-16 08:06:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Got a PDF of the receipt from the dealer and updated the ticket with it and also a photo of the 4 DIMMs. Overnight Corsair have sent me RMA details for the pair containing the failing DIMM so they'll go off to their UK centre today. A location I know well, Scan Computers, near Bolton.

Good service form Corsair, and also from the local dealer who was able in a few moments to call up the January 2012 transaction and email me a PDF of the receipt.

Tony
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jul-16 20:07:24
Print Post

Following testing of the DIMMs at Corsair's UK agent, replacements were shipped from Taiwan, delivered today (I deferred the original delivery date as we were on holiday). Fitted, tested and working fine.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to