Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:32:04
Print Post

HD activity light or lack off

[link to this post]

Is it me or is it that more and more laptops do not have these lights? i am sorting out a laptop, not too old, it is a Acer I3 thing, pretty large really for a laptop, i have noticed that there is no HD activity light, this is the third laptop I have had in my hands over the last few months that do not have one.

i do not think I could cope with a computer without a light flashing to say it is accessing the HD, in fact the only two lights that seems to be on this machine is for power and Wi-fi

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-16 15:38:54
Print Post

Re: HD activity light or lack off

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Dell Studio 1555 over 5 years old and doesn't have any lights at all. No HDD, caps lock, etc.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-16 15:58:28
Print Post

There must be an app for that! laugh

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-16 18:16:07
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Your wish is my command...

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-16 08:18:58
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

There used to be software around ito give people a HD activity light typoe thing n windows 95 days.

I like knowing what the hard drive is doing, not in every day use, but if for some reason the computer freezes I can see if it is using the hard drive or not.

Surly it can not save that much money to not put a LED on a computer?
I have also seen the odd desktop that do not have one either and the lack of reset buttons on desktops is getting annoying as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-16 08:42:04
Print Post

Press and hold the power button for a hard reset?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-16 08:42:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I like knowing what the hard drive is doing, not in every day use, but if for some reason the computer freezes I can see if it is using the hard drive or not.
I use Resource Manager for this. Having 4 disks in my main computer I find it useful to know what process is causing disk activity and which drive and files are in use. The same goes for CPU, memory, or network usage.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-16 12:06:08
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Press and hold the power button for a hard reset?

I know that and while I do not expect a reset on a laptop, it is useful on a desktop. I suppose these days computers are suppose to be more reliable than they used to be, so we should not have to reset so often, but with Windows it is still useful

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-16 12:09:27
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I use Resource Manager for this. Having 4 disks in my main computer I find it useful to know what process is causing disk activity and which drive and files are in use. The same goes for CPU, memory, or network usage.

You mean the one built into windows? for saome reason I can not even get task manager up, it shows in the taskbar and it shows a thumbnail above the taskbar, but it will not open in a windows, very strange.

i am not that bothered about what is using what, I have 4 hard drives in my desktop plus the Blue-ray writer.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 28-Aug-16 13:07:46
Print Post

It seems to be part of general trend - stop telling the users anything about what is happening behind the scenes in case it confuses them, it isn't limited to computers - e.g. most modern car's temperature gauge lie so users don't get concerned

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to