Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:46:30
Print Post

SSD Drives

[link to this post]

Having trouble cloning to (Two) Crucial SSD drives.
Keeps coming up with 'cannot clone because the Sector sizes are different'
In the past have use Sandisk without this problem.
Attempt was made on Two Laptops and two Desk Top computers.
Surely the sellers of SSd's should make it clear that there is a Sector requirement.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:54:54
Print Post

Re: SSD Drives

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

Strange, it should work. what software are you using? i use Macrium reflect and I have never had a problem and it is free.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 03-Sep-16 18:34:38
Print Post

You cannot clone disks if they have different logical sector sizes. Instead, you should create an image of the input disk and restore it to the output disk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-16 07:29:05
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Using 'provided' Acronis download with Licence Number included !!!!!
Have sent an email (Sat) to Crucial for advice.
Will try Macrium Reflect after hearing from Crucial.
Thanks
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Sep-16 08:04:24
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
You cannot clone disks if they have different logical sector sizes. Instead, you should create an image of the input disk and restore it to the output disk.

But if you clone a disk onto another drive, then surly the destination drive is formatted or am I missing something here?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-16 09:12:05
Print Post

Cloning bypasses formatting. That's the point.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Sep-16 12:31:06
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Cloning bypasses formatting. That's the point.

True, so what if the OP deleted the partitions from the destination drive, that would work or it does for me.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sun 11-Sep-16 17:49:29
Print Post

Having sought the Advice from Crucial.
Among their 'Advice' was to initialize the Drive.
That had already been done.
Further advice was to DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE.
At this point I decided enough is enough and asked that the send me the necessary information to be able to claim my money back.
Their guarantee states Money Back within 45 Days.
So here goes.
Contact was made with Crucial in this regard on Friday the 9th of September 2016.
Lets see what now transpires.
Decided not to try Other Programs e.g.Macrium/Paragon.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 08:45:11
Print Post

I have no idea why you are having problems, I have cloned a fair few disks over the last few years, spinny to spinny, spinny to SSD, SSD to spinny and SSD to SSD and never had the problem you are having, I have used Acornis in the past, it works, but not the best software I have used.
Is the crucial drive working, can you use it as a second drive? If so then the drive is not at fault.
Is this the first time you have cloned a drive? do not give up so easily, Crucial drives are fine, I normally use corsair myself, but I know people who do have crucial drives.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Mon 12-Sep-16 18:09:07
Print Post

I have tried to clone drives in Two Laptops. I have tried to clone the same Laptops with two different drives inserted.
I have tried to clone drives in Computer One, in each of three different caddies (at a time when the caddy is running ON IT'S OWN each time.
Similar in Computer Two on the same terms as described above.
All drives mentioned are the result of being cloned from new by Acronis without a problem (running well for a number of years).
The Crucial SSD's drives come with an invitation to use Acronis with Acronis True Image HD software activation with a Serial Number.
The print on the box states ';easily migrate your data to your new crucial SSD',
Repeating myself: On the attempt to clone each and every time it states CANNOT CLONE USE ANOTHER DRIVE.
The reason for this email was to bring up the latest from Crucial.
Crucial have agreed to supply a RMA number for both drives and a Freepost address.
My email asking for this was sent Friday and their reply time dated 9am today Monday.
I give them my respect.I have been a customer over many years for their memory.Without a problem.
As an aside I have purchased two Sandisk SSD's and cloned two separate drives on two different computers using Acronis, they have been running satisfactorily for some Months.
I have no wish to jump through Hoops, buy Paragon,Macrium or other programs.
On investigation as a NON expert it appears having Sectors of 512 bytes and using Crucial /Acronis is a no, no.( I presume this is why Paragon makes a play of being able to Clone different size sectors, otherwise why MENTION this on their Box.
Last I still have Respect for Crucial/ Micron.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to