Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 16:42:49
Print Post

Will this graphics card fit in my motherboard?

[link to this post]

I have a mini atx 6th gen Asus motherboard and i think it may be too small for a graphics card i am interested in.
Also if it is too big anyone could make recommendations on what g card is powerful that would fit.

This is my motherboard and there are good pics on the Asus site of it.

Asus mini ATX motherboard

and the graphics card i wanna put in but not sure will fit due to blocking the Sata ports mostly.

Asus GTX 1070 strix version

Think that card will fit on that board? if not again i am open to suggestions for other graphics cards that might be smaller but still quite powerful. The CPU i have in that motherboard is a 6th gen i7 6700 but not the k
since i never overclock.

Thanks for any replies/help

Edited i showed you guys wrong motherboard by mistake. Your see my problem one pcie 3 16 lane port but close to the sata ports that i use i think there gonna block the card.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Wed 21-Sep-16 17:23:54)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:02:04
Print Post

Re: Will this graphics card fit in my motherboard?

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

You will need to check with a reputable supplier. Asus's website says:
To have the best cooling performance, ASUS STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING extends the fansink to 2 slots. Please double check you Chassis and Motherboard dimension prior to purchase to make sure it fits in your system!
At best, you will only have one PCIe slot available.

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 21-Sep-16 17:04:22)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:06:32
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I don't plan to use any of the ports under the card. Only thing i am worried about is from the pictures i think the that g card might hit the sata ports and i have 4 sata devices so need to use some of the higher up ports.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:25:43
Print Post

I actually put up the link to wrong motherboard. It was a easy mistake, because they use the same chipset there model numbers are almost identical.

http://www.asus.com/UK/Motherboards/B150M-A/
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:43:36
Print Post

You need to talk to someone who has actually done it (or is prepared to experiment). Try QuietPC. As for the SATA cables, you can get them with right-angle connectors.

My main concern would be be available air-flow through your case, especially if it is designed for micro-ATX boards. You should discuss this with whoever you talk to as well.

Edit: Oops! I missed the fact that it's mini-ATX, not micro. blush

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 21-Sep-16 18:44:48)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:48:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
You need to talk to someone who has actually done it (or is prepared to experiment). Try QuietPC. As for the SATA cables, you can get them with right-angle connectors.

My main concern would be be available air-flow through your case, especially if it is designed for micro-ATX boards. You should discuss this with whoever you talk to as well.

My case is actually quite big and decent so that won't be a problem. Although i may want to install a 2nd fan on the back but there cheap and easy todo.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 21-Sep-16 17:57:31
Print Post

I can't really help you, except to advise you to ask around and buy from someone with a good returns policy. You could try asking on Amazon (product questions) or Stack Exchange Hardware Recommendations if you don't want to talk to a supplier directly.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 18:05:42
Print Post

I know and thanks for http://hardwarerecs.stackexchange.com/ looks very good. I have already asked Ebuyer and they said as long as i don't damage the packaging even if i open it and try to fit it i could return it for a refund. However it sounded like i would have to be extremely careful with all the packaging. Ain't asked others but might. CCL computers for example. I purchased most of the parts for PC from them and it's all still under warranty.

Thanks for the advice, and i had forgot about them right angle sata cables. I may even have one or two in motherboard boxes unused.
Standard User rogerfp
(committed) Wed 21-Sep-16 23:59:36
Print Post

I expect you gave already considered this but make sure you have a good PSU with the right 8 pin connectors. GPU's these days need at least a true 500watt PSU.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 22-Sep-16 00:09:11
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Good point!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to