Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 14:27:09
Print Post

Is trim OK to be active on a hard drive! not a SSD

[link to this post]

While testing my PC's SSD for errors today and its on another thread on here i discovered a possible new issue i didn't know i had. The SSD testing programs showed that trim was enabled for my 3TB Toshiba hard drive which obviasly is not a SSD. Is that good, bad? if it is bad how do i turn trim off for just one drive i only know how to turn it off and on for entire OS.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:40:03
Print Post

Re: Is trim OK to be active on a hard drive! not a SSD

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Trim can not be active on a none SSD, there is nothing in the firmware of the drive for a start. Maybe it is windows being a pain.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:43:29
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Trim can not be active on a none SSD, there is nothing in the firmware of the drive for a start. Maybe it is windows being a pain.

Thanks. Seems my Windows 10 has completely failed on me. Disc cleanup doesn't work anymore and anything in firefox's cache unless I delete it manually from the cache folder sort of vanishes and stays eating up space. Firefox cache clearing system and disc clean up don't remove it. Worse of all i can't get it to cleanup any Windows update stuff at all. Looks like it is reinstall windows time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:55:05
Print Post

You are using the cleanup system files button for windows update cleanup?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:46:06
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
You are using the cleanup system files button for windows update cleanup?

Tried both and ticked every box.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 17:00:17
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Ok windows cleanup after the computer being turned off for a while has started working again by itself! All i did was run it fully system cleanup etc and it said there was basically nothing to clean up. Still i ran it anyway and 5gb came back for real even tho it claimed i would get nothing back!

I have also confirmed Firefox is now clearing its own cache again.

I am really not getting on with Windows 10. This may be the fastest PC i have had specially at games and smoothness of videos and streaming but i have had a lot of random glitches with the OS that i never had with Windows XP or Windows 7 or 8.1 which i use on my laptop.

Most serious issues in past have been one issue or something not a load of different ones.
Trim is still enabled for a hard drive and i can only turn it on or off it seems for the entire OS not a single drive.
I will leave it on i guess it has less chance of harming a hard drive turned on than a SSD turned off.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 18:45:16
Print Post

Trouble with Win 10 is they are updating apps live and breaking things while supposed to be improving things. I have sent a feedback suggestion to fix things first before they introduce new features.

My music player Groove only works with media keys after a reboot and recently the notification area for emails has stopped working since they updated the mail app last week so now have to rely on phone for when email comes in.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
  Print Thread

Jump to