Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Mar-17 14:51:57
Print Post

Laser printer

[link to this post]

Ok, an LED printer, but more or less the same thing.

I am thinking of getting one, an Brother HL3150CDW colour, about £129 from Pc world and I do not see them any cheaper online, in fact most places are more expensive. a mate of mine have just got the 3140, which is cheaper, but do not have duplex.

I been wandering around the house thinking do I really need one, i have a canon IP 7250, which is a good little printer, but do not have the quality of a Laser/LED and if I do not use it for a couple of weeks, it goes through this awful cleaning routing that seems to use a ton of ink.

wondering if a the brother is a way to go, i would keep the canon for photos.

do anyone here have a colour laser and what do you think?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:26:31
Print Post

Re: Laser printer

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I know a couple who have 2 Brother mono lasers, 1 on each PC. They swear by them. The only issue is the dust that accumulates in them, but that is, I feel, an issues that is more due to the maintenance of the house itself rather than a printer issue (she'll admit that).

Personally I use an HP (10 years old now) mono laser for everyday work, and an Epson inkjet when I want colour. To be fair to the Epson it doesn't seem to go through excessive machinations if it hasn't been used for 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe your Canon is a bit more wasteful.

As far as I know, a colour laser can't produce photo quality prints, but if that's not important then I'd say go for one, and Brother do seem to have a good reputation.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Mar-17 17:34:22
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

i know someone who have a colour Lexmark, getting on now, it is ok and that collects dust, but then they do produce static, the problem is now getting parts for it if it goes belly up.

i do like brother, we have an all in one mono laser printer by brother at work and it is far better than the HP ones, quieter and quicker, but then it is newer.

My canon is never switched off, it goes into a sleep mode, but now and again it will wake up and do a dance, which is strange, but the print quality is pretty good. i would keep the canon for photos.

The only thing that is stopping me going out and getting the brother is will I use it enough to justify the cost? i tend to be using my Inkjet less these days,

I will pop into Currys on the way home from work tomorrow and have a look and decide then.

thanks for the reply.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Mar-17 19:31:16
Print Post

Re: Laser printer *DELETED*

Post deleted by broadband66
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Mar-17 19:31:16
Print Post

I have a canon pixma 4700 and only use it occasionally and it always runs the headclean facility.

The Samsung 2020W mono laser, I use nearly every day, is great. Haven't used a colour laser so can't comment.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Mar-17 20:20:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I have a canon pixma 4700 and only use it occasionally and it always runs the headclean facility.

The Samsung 2020W mono laser, I use nearly every day, is great. Haven't used a colour laser so can't comment.

I used to have Pixma 4700, great little printer, but did used to go crazy a few times, worse than this one I have, but i do miss the manual feed as my canon 7250 do not have a manual feed system, just two drawers, can be a pain for envelopes if I only want to print one out as i have to take all the paper out of the bottom drawer to stick an envelope in, the top drawer is for photo paper. The CD/DVD printing is useful, not that I use it so much these days for that.

it is the price of this printer, £129 is a fair bit of money if it is just going to be used now and again., i went to PC world to have a look at it, but they do not have it on display.

the problem with Lasers it is not just the toner, it it is the drums, waste bin and belt that needs replacing as well, saying that, the bin and belt lasts for 50,000 sheets, drums are about 15,000 and the toner is about 1,500 to 2,000.

so not too bad.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Mar-17 22:02:46
Print Post

This is the one I fancy

I have an Epson C1100 with which I was delighted until recently when it started leaving a blank strip down the side of the page.

I was just about to change it when I found a cure on the net (curses). A bit of the manual I had never read. I had an Epson inkjet before and hated it, due to very infrequent use and because of that it was very expensive to run, but I think in fairness that the quality when you put it into photo mode and used photographic paper was better. The laser however does pretty good quality and on ordinary paper. The inkjet was also very slow.

Edited by philippercival (Mon 06-Mar-17 22:03:10)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Mar-17 06:43:28
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
This is the one I fancy

I have an Epson C1100 with which I was delighted until recently when it started leaving a blank strip down the side of the page.

I was just about to change it when I found a cure on the net (curses). A bit of the manual I had never read. I had an Epson inkjet before and hated it, due to very infrequent use and because of that it was very expensive to run, but I think in fairness that the quality when you put it into photo mode and used photographic paper was better. The laser however does pretty good quality and on ordinary paper. The inkjet was also very slow.

Looks nice, a bit on the pricey side, but then it does have a scanner and it is large.
I am not a fan of Epson to be honest, they used to make good printers, but then they went cheap and used some awful plastic that was so thin you could see through it and so easy to break. My brother have an Epson inkjet and they have seemed to have improved.

I was telling a friend of mine about this Brother printer and now she is saying about getting one as she have an old Epson laser and it is at the end of it's day.

Not so sure if LED is as good as laser, the reviews look good. I do not know, if to buy one or not.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Mar-17 07:44:01
Print Post

after much thought, I have ordered it, should be here today. just moving things now so I got a space to put it, just had a thought, I need power for it.

Yep, I have spare sockets.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to