Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-May-17 10:00:36
Print Post

Re: Ryzen 5

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

My PC is on the bench so the front case fan (a 120mm Noctua) around 12 inches from my right ear and the Wraith Spire is silent when you are just surfing etc. My front case fan at the slowest speed makes more noise (a very low hum). Under maximum load when everything spins up it makes some noise but it isn't deafening, i'm running the CPU-z stress test as i write this (processor is at 56.4c) and i still comfortably hear the radio which is 5 feet to my left, i can mainly hear air rushing in to the case because the front fan has spun up, when i walked about 8 feet away i couldn't hear the PC over the radio.

Playing X-Com on the highest settings at 1080p with a lowly GTX 750Ti is runs at 150fps and no fans spin up at all. That said it isn't the worlds most taxing game is it.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-May-17 08:25:51
Print Post

Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 or any ryzen chip :)

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

My video card is the noisy thing on my machine, it have twin fans and can be a bit loud when it gets going.

I am still trying to decide which way to go, it will certainly be between the R7 1700 or the 1700X, memoryis still a problem, should I go for 3200Mhz or go to the 2666Mhz.
I doubt my machine will ever be over clocked.

I have been looking around the net and getting more confused all the time, would a 1700X give me much more performance for the extra £50, exactly it will be more than that because I would have to get a cooler and would I get any benefit out of going for the more expensive 32000Mhz memory?

this is the problem with the Ryzen being so new.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 09:24:01
Print Post

Re: Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 or any ryzen chip :)

I have a single stick 8GB of 2400MHz mate, i didn't even take advantage of a dual channel set up and my processor isn't any slower than any other real world benchmarks i have seen online so i cant say it is holding it back any.

Mine is all stock and not over clocked, i only did it briefly to see what it could do, i'd rather have the quiet than the speed lol

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 14:29:06
Print Post

Ordered the bits today, gone for a Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB of 2666Mhz memory 2x8GB, gone for corsair and an Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, it was only a tenner more than the pro 4, more or less the same specs, but a slightly better built board. oh yes and something called Fatality mouse port, what ever that is.
Cost £552 from Scan and that includes next day delivery before 12 and £15 for a 28 day installation damage insurance. I have never done that before, but with the CPU being the price it is, I thought maybe safer than sorry,

I was going to go for the 1700X, but decided not to because of the price for the extra bit of power which is minimal.

What surprised me is that I put the order in and about 10 mins after I had a text to say it have been processed, picked and dispatched. I take it when they say dispatched they mean it is out of the warehouse and ready to be picked up. Still impressive.

ea

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-May-17 07:39:50
Print Post

Nice one.

I have put an Arctic Freezer 33 on my R5 1600 and i am impressed as my PC is now all but silent. I have the fan set to keep spinning rather than it turning off, i don't like the idea of it turning off ill be honest.

Anyway it is now sat as i type this at 28c.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-May-17 07:59:35
Print Post

Should be here today before 12, that is when I ordered it for. Ik will use the included cooler i doubt it is any louder than the fans on the video card, they get pretty loud.

i also ordered a shuttle express, i was going to get the large version, but I do not really need that, just something with a jog shuttle control and some buttons I can program. But that will not be here for a week or so.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-May-17 08:17:43
Print Post

Well as i said earlier the Wraith Spire is quiet enough and works well smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-May-17 21:34:19
Print Post

Yes, it is pretty quiet. We will se how well it works when I get rendering.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-May-17 09:38:55
Print Post

i predict it will get louder lol
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-May-17 10:13:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alnath:
i predict it will get louder lol

Me too, but I have to use it for that to happen.

got memory management problems, just booted into a tester and testing memory, just to see if it is the memory that is the problem. It could be just drivers on Windows 8.1, if I can not solve it then I will have to install Windows flipping 10.

I am using my poor laptop at the moment.

I got pop into town, meeting a friend or two for coffee. then back to sort out machine, maybe I should have stuck with my old one

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to