Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Apr-17 11:27:11
Print Post

why are things so complex?

[link to this post]

Been looking at updating my tower, getting a new board, memory and Cpu, either the AMD R7 or the AMD R5, depending on how good the R5 is and it is cheaper, saying that going for the R7 will mean I have more power than i need and will not need to update for a very long time.

My problem is memory, been looking at videos and articles and it is more complex than ever, certainly with the Ryzen as it uses memory differently than Intel.

Oh dear, it was much easier when I first built this machine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Wed 05-Apr-17 12:03:09
Print Post

Re: why are things so complex?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I was just thinking, maybe go for a whole new build instead of updating every single component in the case. It may be cheaper and easier that way, unless you want to keep the case.

Sync: 35133/7900 Kbps.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Apr-17 13:34:14
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Easier yes, but it is not me, I prefer to build my own. Anyway there is some newesh stuff in my machine I want to keep and some not so new that is fine.
Case is a Coolermaster haff, nice big sturdy case, two SSD and one spinny drive i want to keep, graphics card is still very good, it is still being sold on amazon second user for over £130.

PSU is as far as i know still fine, seems to be running this machine ok.

I will wait for a bit, there are some bundles, so I will get some idea from them.
I could go for a bundle, but they will not have all I want, I want an Asrock board and corsair memory.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Wed 05-Apr-17 17:13:50
Print Post

You can still build your own with a new case, you don't have to go down the prebuilt route. I'd never do that myself, anyway. Looks like you have a nice setup there. I have a custom built PC from 2010 and it still works well today. I am, however, thinking of upgrading later on this year.

Sync: 35133/7900 Kbps.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Wed 05-Apr-17 17:14:09)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 10:58:05
Print Post

So what is your question around memory? Is it type of memory or amount of memory you are pondering?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 15:09:12
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
You can still build your own with a new case, you don't have to go down the prebuilt route. I'd never do that myself, anyway. Looks like you have a nice setup there. I have a custom built PC from 2010 and it still works well today. I am, however, thinking of upgrading later on this year.

It is a setup that is getting on, well some of it, the main board is around 5 years old, so is the PSU, Memory and and case. I got myself a AMD 8350 a couple of years back when I was ill, I needed something with a bit more poke and the CPU had that and was cheap, I also got myself a sapphire R9 280 video card at the same time and a larger SSD.
TBH, the machine works fine, it renders video ok, now and again it will take a while depending on the complexity of the video, but it will get there in the end.

My idea of updating is just to get something that have a bit more bite to it, i was looking at Intel, not that I wanted to go for Intel, but AMD took so long to get ryzen out, but now that Ryzen is available, I will go for that.
but now i have to decide if to spend the extra on a R7 or go the cheaper router to an R5.
Saying that the lower end R7 seems a pretty good price and the benchmarks seems fine for what I want.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
So what is your question around memory? Is it type of memory or amount of memory you are pondering?

I have 8GB in this machine, but if i am going to update i may as well go for 16, I do not see any need to go higher, it is the speed i am confused about, Ryzen is a bit of pain with speed so I have read, it likes higher speed ram, but it gets fussy if you go too fast or if you have double sided ram and got all four slots filled or something like that.
so my thought is 2x8GB single sided ram sticks, but now have to look at the speed and timings.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Apr-17 18:03:14
Print Post

Might be teaching my Granny to suck eggs but make sure you are outputting your rendered video to a second HDD. Makes the process much quicker.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Apr-17 09:37:03
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Oh yes, I have a large 2TB spinny one that the rendered video is stored on,

i have worked out the memory 3200Mhz is the one to go for by all accounts. I think I have also worked out what chip as well, the R7 1700X, i will also look at the R7 1700.
Main board is the ASRock AB350 Pro4

Now i have to decide if I really want to go for it, as it is a fair bit of money. it will certainly be better than this one I have got.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to