Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BXW
(newbie) Tue 19-Dec-17 23:59:35
Print Post

Dead Windows Home Server

[link to this post]

I have an Acer easyStore H340 to run Windows Home Server which, sad to say, has died. Not having a video card for a monitor or facility for a keyboard etc it is impossible for me to work out what happened, it is usually controlled over the network. Does anyone know if I were to place the 3 hard drives in an old networked computer would the WHS system come back to life? Would I need to do anything clever first, like alter the BIOS, or find the network card driver and where would I put such?

Edited by BXW (Wed 20-Dec-17 11:03:34)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Dec-17 08:23:31
Print Post

Re: Dead Windows Home Server

[re: BXW] [link to this post]

Assuming that one of those drives has the OS then it may not work at all as the base system drivers may be of a different chipset and may not be able to auto recover. Certainly I would suggest you would need a keyboard/mouse and monitor connected in order to set everything up and get it initially working. Easiest thing would be to borrow keyboard/mouse and monitor to have a look and try and diagnose what is wrong with the current unit - don't you know anyone that might be able to give you a loan short term?
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Dec-17 09:12:08
Print Post

Re: Dead Windows Home Server

[re: BXW] [link to this post]

There's an article here that deals with data recovery from a failed WHS setup.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b...

Most TVs can act as a monitor, and keyboard/mouse combos can be had for about a tenner. Probably a good investment if you want to revive your current setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to