Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 21:57:56
Print Post

Booting-Up Problem

[link to this post]

I have a 4-year old entry-level Lenovo G5030 laptop. It runs 24/7 and has done so right from the start. The spec is basic and there are only two indicator lights. One shows when the laptop is connected to the power pack and the other shows when the laptop is turned on. There are no other lights to show hard disk activity or network connectivity. It very rarely runs off power; recently when it has been on battery the life has been a lot less than predicted and the re-charge time is given as maybe two or three hours when the power is reconnected but then the battery shows as fully charged in much less time than that. The Lenovo diagnostic software says the battery is in good condition.

If the machine is left connected to power it can be closed down and re-started at will. If it is disconnected from the power (even for only a few minutes) then re-connected to the power, it does not boot-up. The two warning lights both light indicating that the machine is connected to the power and also turned on, but the screen stays black. If I leave it in this state for 5 or 10 minutes then use the power button to shut down and re-start the machine, it boots normally. My first guess was the battery going bad and drawing too much power when the first re-start was attempted so I have tried taking it off power for a while with the battery removed then connecting the power pack with no battery installed - again a black screen.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and knows what is going on? I don't want to order a new battery or power pack on spec in case it is something terminal and will require a new machine so any information or diagnosis would be helpful.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Tue 12-Feb-19 15:45:42
Print Post

Re: Booting-Up Problem

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

For the record, sourced a new battery and things seem to be back to normal now.
  Print Thread

Jump to