User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative drtobak
(isp) Thu 22-Dec-11 09:08:17
Print Post

Welcome to Hyperoptic!

[link to this post]

It is a real pleasure to be back on the thinkbroadband forums hosting Hyperoptic and bringing the fastest available residential service in the UK. For those of you who've been following the broadband market for sometime you'll recognise myself and my business parter (Boris Ivanovic) as the ones who originally brought Be unlimited to the uk - the first to launch the up to 24 Meg broadband that is standard across all ISPs just 6 years later.

We are currently targeting residential buildings with more that 50 residents in London, although we plan to expand our services in the new year to other cities. We will also be launching our leased line replacement services and business products shortly and are currently in trials.

We will be monitoring the forum and encouraging lively conversation on our services, our rollout, and fibre optic technology generally. If you'd like a more confidential chat feel to use contact@hyperoptic.com.

Lets bring the full fibre revolution to the UK together!

Dana Pressman Tobak
Managing Director

Hyperoptic Ltd
Unit C401, Westfield London
Ariel Way
London, W12 7FD
United Kingdom
www.hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Thu 22-Dec-11 11:29:50
Print Post

Re: Welcome to Hyperoptic!

[re: drtobak] [link to this post]

Hi Dana,

Good to see you here.
I've already registered my interest with Hyperoptic, and been talking with a couple of your colleagues about the chances to install Hyperoptic in my block (~120 flats)
Also started a campaign and put flyers on the boards, and letters through all my neighbour's mailboxes, encouraging them to register. By now you should have quite a few registrations from postcodes SE16 5xx , as I had very good feedback, even from members of the residents board.

What's a mystery to me, maybe you can shed some light on it, it's why all the other alternatives to ADSL (BT Infinity, Virgin, other wireless options), don't do exactly what you are doing, starting out on the no-spot or very slow areas. In fact, they seem to be doing exactly the opposite, and leaving these areas totally out of their plans, which seems completely illogical to me.

Alex

--------------------------
ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
ISP Representative drtobak
(isp) Fri 23-Dec-11 10:15:53
Print Post

[re: alesarco] [link to this post]

Hello, Alex.
You are doing all the right things to help us bring your building to the real fibre revolution - my team will continue to liaise with you during the process and we will be sure to show our appreciation for your advocacy - nothing like some 1 Gig broadband to bring some satisfaction to daily life.

As to why do the other service and network providers work differently from us? The easy answer is that their drivers are different from ours and that there are not-spots all over the country. For the national players, they are driven by coverage and finding one size fits all solutions for their customer bases as long as they can drive the population coverage as quickly as possible. For wireless providers, coverage is also important but the cities to present particular challenges and are likely to be less beneficial to block housing. We are focused on speed to deliver, customer service, and our practical business approach. We are a small company with a vision that includes fibre for all and we know what our role should be in making it happen.

The multi-dwelling units that we are targeting have a different model and requirements than terraced, semi detached, or individual housing and as such may be considered a distraction for the incumbents. But for us, they are a perfect market and we intend to service them, well, perfectly.
- we are both a network and service provider which allows us to ensure that we put the customer at the heart of our solution
- we fundamentally believe in a fibre world that allows consumers and businesses to get the best value for money.

I hope that helps and i look forward to bringing you and your fellow residents to our Hyperoptic world.

We hope you have a Happy holidays and a grand New Year!

Dana Pressman Tobak
Managing Director

Hyperoptic Ltd
Unit C401, Westfield London
Ariel Way
London, W12 7FD
United Kingdom
www.hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vit0
(regular) Sat 21-Jan-12 11:47:16
Print Post

Is Hyperoptic FTTP then Cat5e/6 to the user?

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Jan-12 00:39:13
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Fibre into each flat/home, and then their own gigabit router so wireless or ethernet to your computers

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vit0
(regular) Sun 22-Jan-12 20:54:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nice!

Must be costly for them though, installing fibre and the equipment to handle it all on site!

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Jan-12 21:16:34
Print Post

Their model is to do a block of flats or an area and get maximum takeup from once its live.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jan-12 21:24:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by drtobak:
It is a real pleasure to be back on the thinkbroadband forums hosting Hyperoptic and bringing the fastest available residential service in the UK. For those of you who've been following the broadband market for sometime you'll recognise myself and my business parter (Boris Ivanovic) as the ones who originally brought Be unlimited to the UK - the first to launch the up to 24 Meg broadband that is standard across all ISPs just 6 years later.

We are currently targeting residential buildings with more that 50 residents in London, although we plan to expand our services in the new year to other cities. We will also be launching our leased line replacement services and business products shortly and are currently in trials.

We will be monitoring the forum and encouraging lively conversation on our services, our rollout, and fibre optic technology generally. If you'd like a more confidential chat feel to use contact@hyperoptic.com.

Lets bring the full fibre revolution to the UK together!
Although the initial network presence and customer base are within the central London area , Do you have any plans to expand to other Geographic locations , or even create national customer base or is it just going to be confined to the capital city ? As i'm quiet sure that there would be a lot of interest in other cities /towns across the UK

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 22-Jan-12 21:24:40)

Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 25-Jan-12 10:10:24
Print Post

Hi,

Great news. I know you're looking at my block and I've just registered my interest so hopefully we'll get some good news soon.

Be great if there was some kind of flyer or poster we could print out.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Wed 25-Jan-12 12:01:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by vit0:
Is Hyperoptic FTTP then Cat5e/6 to the user?

According to the Hyperoptic guy who came to the block to do a survey, they'd come to the basement with fibre, install a router there, and then use Cat5e to each flat.

--------------------------
ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Standard User vit0
(regular) Fri 27-Jan-12 21:03:07
Print Post

[re: alesarco] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alesarco:
According to the Hyperoptic guy who came to the block to do a survey, they'd come to the basement with fibre, install a router there, and then use Cat5e to each flat.

That's what I thought would happen as it's pretty pointless using fibre to provide 1Gbit when copper is just as capable and A LOT cheaper.

Lee
Standard User locutus
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 16:05:04
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

I hear the site survey has now been done and the building manager is just waiting for the results.

Anyone know any approx timescales? smile

--
Standard User JonnyH47
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 18:33:09
Print Post

I'd recommend Hyperoptic's service without hesitation. I've been connected for a couple of months and am really happy. Finger tapping whilst files download is a thing of the past ... even when my wife and daughter are using too!
Standard User locutus
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 18:36:41
Print Post

[re: JonnyH47] [link to this post]

Come on then, lets see your speed test smile

I'm just waiting. I've tried to encourage my neighbours to sign up and just hoping there'll be some good news soon. I'll be signing up as soon as I'm sent a link for it.

--
Standard User JonnyH47
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 09:11:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by locutus:
Come on then, lets see your speed test smile

I'm just waiting. I've tried to encourage my neighbours to sign up and just hoping there'll be some good news soon. I'll be signing up as soon as I'm sent a link for it.

I'm using Hyperoptic's 100 Mbps service. Here's the speed test:

Download Speed: 95859 kbps (11982.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 87254 kbps (10906.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Thu Feb 09 2012 08:50:06 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

It really is very, very impressive!
Standard User locutus
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-12 09:47:28
Print Post

Very nice! Thanks. That is very impressive.

--
Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:16:24
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi Tommy45!

We will indeed be looking to expand to other towns and cities across the UK at some point during the coming year. We'd recommend that anyone looking to get our service should go to our website and register their interest. Areas where we have received the most interest requests are likely to be where we would look to expand to first, so there is some worth in doing this early on.
Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:24:14
Print Post

Hi Mike,

Once a survey has been conducted we'd usually get back to the building management within a week or so with a proposal. Which building do you live in?

Dave
Head of Customer Support
Hyperoptic Ltd
Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:40:45
Print Post

[re: AvidiShaw] [link to this post]

Hi Dave,

It's Westwood House, Lanterns Court, E14.

Hopefully it'll be good news! smile

--

Edited by locutus (Wed 15-Feb-12 16:55:52)

Standard User dustofnations
(member) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:47:06
Print Post

Hi,

I'd be extremely interested to know what your peering arrangements are given that the entire LINX exchange has a peak transfer rate of 1.161 Tbps. Clearly it will only take a very small number of customers concurrently using gigabit connections (at anywhere near full speed, or even 30% maximal speed) to produce a deluge of traffic.

Do you anticipate that, much like Japan and S. Korea fibre, the connections will be massively slower during daytime when contention is higher?

I suppose this all leads onto the question of what you expect the contention ratio will be, given such wide connections and such reasonable prices smile.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 08:09:13
Print Post

Impressive stats, how much does the service cost?

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User JonnyH47
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 14:16:03
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
Impressive stats, how much does the service cost?

I'm paying £37.50 a month, including phone line, for the 100 Meg service. The set up fee (£40 I think) was waived.

Here's a link to Hyperoptic's prices for other services:

https://www.hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#3
Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 17:13:53
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

Hi dustofnations

Whilst we anticipate and fully expect average usage per customer to be much, much higher than on more standard broadband connections, it will take a long time before our usage grows to be more than that of other networks when you look at it as a whole. With the general adoption of fibre services in the UK (and elsewhere around the world), clearly networks will need to continue to upgrade to cope with the demands of users. It may be that the internet in general slows up in peak hours, but we don’t expect this and will actively monitor our own network to avoid significant slowdowns in peak times.

Happy to discuss this with you in more detail if you want to contact me directly,

Dave
Standard User JonnyH47
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 14:24:53
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dustofnations:
Hi,

I'd be extremely interested to know what your peering arrangements are given that the entire LINX exchange has a peak transfer rate of 1.161 Tbps. Clearly it will only take a very small number of customers concurrently using gigabit connections (at anywhere near full speed, or even 30% maximal speed) to produce a deluge of traffic.

Do you anticipate that, much like Japan and S. Korea fibre, the connections will be massively slower during daytime when contention is higher?

I suppose this all leads onto the question of what you expect the contention ratio will be, given such wide connections and such reasonable prices smile.

You made me think ...

Imagine a world where we all need 1 Gig per second, every second. I wonder what spectacular technology we’ll be using? Maybe stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=...

Any other suggestions anyone? (Apologies for going off topic!)

Hopefully, with companies such as Hyperoptic pushing the boundaries, we’ll get there sooner rather than later!
Standard User MartinBen
(regular) Fri 02-Mar-12 20:10:16
Print Post

Any ideas about business premises?

The company I work for is looking for a good, fast & reliable connection so we can replicate our servers in real-time down to another site.

The problem is we are based in Northampton and I see you only seem to be working in London which is a shame as we would be quite willing to pay good money to get this sorted !
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:25:35
Print Post

[re: MartinBen] [link to this post]

Hello MartinBen

Many thanks for your interest in Hyperoptic!

At the moment we're focussing on premises in London however the good news is that we plan to roll out to other cities. Please register your interest via our website www.hyperoptic.com so we have your details to keep you informed.

Best wishes

Sunita
Hyperoptic Ltd.

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Mar-12 16:38:43
Print Post

Have you looked at Ethernet pricing?

Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 19:04:00
Print Post

Echoing Mr Saffron's point, have you looked at Ethernet? If you reaslly want to have guaranteed back-up of data then a contended service like broadband is not really the best option, far better to use an uncontended Ethernet link. This costs more but at least you will have confidence your data is prperly backed-up and not lost because another user was downloading the internet at a critical moment before you main servers failed!

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 00:02:09
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

Would agree with this and you can get some good prices for EAD dependant on where you are

Virgin Business and Daisy are just 2 possibilities

Be* Unlimited
Standard User antio
(newbie) Mon 19-Mar-12 18:19:33
Print Post

I just received a letter about Hyperoptic and it sounded really good, so I visited the website to find out more.

Well, there's a reason why they're so cheap... Look at their website and you'll see all images still bear the watermarks of istockphoto and shutterstock... That means they haven't paid any fees (basicaly they've stolen the photos!) and even worse they've really badly photoshopped them in an attempt to remove the watermarks.

If they can't afford the royalties of buying 10 stock photos (normally about £1-£5 each), then I can't see how their business will survive more than a few months.

To avoid any trolls saying I'm from Virgin's marketing dept. I'll say that I've already emailed Hyperoptic and posted on the only two forums I found some meaningful discussion about their services.

It sounded too good to be true and I won't be signing up as this to me speaks heaps about their attitude - I'm a small business owner and I wouldn't want anyone stealing my products like they do. Just wish Virgin would come over here a bit quicker.

Thanks,
Anthony
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Mar-12 19:30:24
Print Post

[re: antio] [link to this post]

Have just looked at their website and

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#5

shows the problem very well, don't believe this was there previously. So am going to guess that someone mocked a changed page up, and then managed to upload the watermarked images, rather than the actual ones.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Mar-12 19:39:17
Print Post

No lessons learnt from the disaster that is the BE website then wink

Be* Unlimited
Standard User antio
(newbie) Mon 19-Mar-12 20:02:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have just looked at their website and

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#5

shows the problem very well, don't believe this was there previously. So am going to guess that someone mocked a changed page up, and then managed to upload the watermarked images, rather than the actual ones.

And
https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/business#0
and
https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/business#2
and
https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#2

While it's common to test stock images before buying them, they've clearly (although poorly) attempted to remove the watermarks and it's not just on a single page frown
Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Mon 19-Mar-12 20:38:32
Print Post

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We had made some changes to our website earlier today and it would appear as a result certain pages have taken on the ‘design phase’ appearance. We have raised this with our webmaster to resolve as soon as possible.

In light of this I would hope you would reconsider your opinion about Hyperoptic as this is obviously not a cost issue! I would be happy to discuss this with you should you seek further clarification,

Kind regards

Dave Shaw
Head of Customer Support
Standard User antio
(newbie) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:49:25
Print Post

Thanks for the reply and the e-mail, which is to your credit, on a Monday evening!

The T&Cs are also impossible to read on Firefox, but I'll give it another go later in the week and will try to make a decision. Currently on legacy unlimited O2, with a discount, so really hard to beat that price.
Standard User JonathanCassar
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:28:31
Print Post

Hi Anthony,

Legacy unlimited O2? - was that before or after O2 brought BE?
I only ask as the people who set up BE (and sold to O2) are the same team behind Hyperoptic and you seem happy with O2

I was one of BE's first customers in my area and am still very happy with the service
Yes the (BE) website could be improved but the CS and support have always been good when needed

Proof of the pudding is always in the eating I guess but I'm hopeful that my Hyperoptic service once live will be as good as BE (but faster)

Just out of curiosity is your current deal with O2 better than £12.50 per month?
(the min Hyperoptic subscription -20MB/s)

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'
Standard User dustofnations
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 00:13:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by antio:
The T&Cs are also impossible to read on Firefox

I think whoever maintains the site may want to consider using relative font sizing (of some variety) instead of fixed pixel sizes for the T&Cs contents[0]. They are not easily legible on a screen of any appreciable resolution without using a zoom manually.

By using relative sizing you would respect the display settings of the user's browser. You seem to do it elsewhere on the site.

See:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/520939/css-font-s...

[0] https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/privacy-and-cookie - text of T&Cs is set to just 12px absolute,
Standard User locutus
(committed) Thu 10-May-12 22:42:31
Print Post

My faceplate has been installed and now I'm just waiting for the go live date, which may or may not be next week. I keep checking my network connection to see if it's live smile

There's certainly advantages to getting buildings cabled whist they are being built. Adding that much cabling after and then getting into the flats is not the best way to do it.

It's about time new flats had structured cabling built in.

Anyway, I'll be back posting my stats once I'm connected!

--
Standard User somerset
(committed) Thu 10-May-12 23:15:27
Print Post

Openreach has standards for new builds:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/network/develop...
Standard User locutus
(committed) Fri 11-May-12 16:04:36
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Interesting, thanks for that.

I think Hyperoptic have got a much better chance of getting new customers with new builds as once people move in, they have probably already signed up to BT or another provider for 12 months, so may be reluctant to pay for another service, though they can always just get the faceplate installed. I guess this isn't pushed as much as Hyperoptic want active customers, not ones just getting the ability to use them in the future.

Anyway, I've been crimping a bit of cat5e today to patch from the faceplate to my PC. The faceplate is teasing me knowing it can't be used. Maybe HO will liven me up over the weekend? *hint* smile

--
Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 16-May-12 15:12:33
Print Post

Well, "early/mid-week" has passed and still no connection. Any news Hyperoptic when you might turn us on? smile

--
Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 18:40:36
Print Post

Hi Locutus,

I work for Hyperoptic! There are still a few people due to have their faceplate installed, and still a few tests on the network to conduct, but it won't be long now!

I'll be sending out an email in the next day or two to everyone who ordered in your development saying pretty much the same, so you heard it here first!

Kind regards

Dave
Hyperoptic Customer Support
Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 16-May-12 21:46:16
Print Post

Thanks for the update Dave. I think my only comment so far would be about keeping users updated. I don't mind waiting, it's just the silence that's frustrating!

Cheers.

--
Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 10:46:37
Print Post

Hi Dave, me again smile

How's it all going? Any news on the fibre install?

Thanks!

--
Standard User Ptomicek
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-12 07:03:01
Print Post

Hi,
Are there any plans to cover area in London north of Old Street along the Regents Canal? There are many modern developments here,each with at least 100 flats.

I have registered my interest, post code N1 5EB, but haven't gotten any response yet.

It seems the development I live in will not get fibre through openreach anytime soon and most people do not get internet speeds over 7 Mb.

There are many potential customers here and I would like to know what I have to do in order raise the interest from Hyperoptic in bringing fiber to our homes.

Thank you in advance,

Peter
ISP Representative dpm
(isp) Wed 06-Jun-12 13:46:45
Print Post

Hi Locutus,

I've sent you a PM with an update. Please check your personal inbox.
ISP Representative dpm
(isp) Wed 06-Jun-12 13:48:21
Print Post

[re: Ptomicek] [link to this post]

Hi Ptomicek,

My colleague Mike has sent you an email which I'm sure answers your questions. If you come up with any more, feel free to get in touch.

Thanks!
Standard User Ptomicek
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-12 15:10:49
Print Post

[re: dpm] [link to this post]

Thnak you for the response, hopefully we will get Hyperoptic soon.
Standard User locutus
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 15:33:34
Print Post

Hi dpm, I don't seem to have a PM?

Thanks.

--
ISP Representative dpm
(isp) Mon 11-Jun-12 12:50:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by locutus:
Hi dpm, I don't seem to have a PM?

Thanks.

Hi Locutus,

PM was definitely sent but will resend. Let me know if it doesn't come through again.

Dom
Standard User locutus
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-12 16:44:42
Print Post

Still nothing. How odd. That said, I did get an email last week saying it was delayed and so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Thanks anyway!

--
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to