User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CutGlass
(newbie) Mon 10-Sep-12 15:00:58
Print Post

Installation process

[link to this post]

I'm asking a question on behalf of my brother, who is about to move into a shared student flat for a year and received a Hyperoptic flyer through the door saying that the building is already connected and offering them broadband.

What I'm wondering, given that it's a place they're renting for a year and then having to give back in the same condition as when they moved in, is what the installation actually entails. I've scoured the FAQ and I think I understand, but I want to make certain.

Will the engineers need to drill holes to run the ethernet cable into the flat and/or install a new faceplate into the wall somewhere? Or does it all connect up somehow through the existing BT faceplate, which is simply swapped out for a new one with an ethernet port?

I'm assuming it's the former, in which case I don't know if they would be allowed to go for it.
Standard User locutus
(committed) Mon 10-Sep-12 16:01:12
Print Post

Re: Installation process

[re: CutGlass] [link to this post]

If the building is already connected, there may be a Hyperoptic faceplate already installed, in which case you need to do nothing, just plug in an ethernet cable and connect it to the router. If your brother has the address, phone Hyperoptic, I'm sure they'll have the details of what's been installed.

If it hasn't been installed, then yes, it will probably involve a small hole being drilled near the front door, and a cable fed through it and cable tied to the wall, and a faceplate installed nearby a power socket. If this is needed, then you should get permission from the landlord. but you'd hope they would see the benefit. When they rent it out next year, it'll help attract renters. Just ensure the landlords permission is in writing and the agency get a copy if there is one.

The BT faceplate is nothing to do with Hyperoptic, and will be left untouched. Allowing for a BT service if needed.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Mon 10-Sep-12 19:16:58
Print Post

[re: CutGlass] [link to this post]

Hello!

Thank you for your post - we can (and have) installed our hyper-fast services into rented accommodation - please ask your brother to give us a call, alternatively email support@hyperoptic.com and we'll do the rest smile

Kind regards

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Sep-12 19:26:17
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

If the building has just the one landlord, then it should be easy enough to get permission too, as they will be well versed in what Hyperoptic do.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to