User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ADKB
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:54:34
Print Post

HyperOptic Review

[link to this post]

Thought I would post a review after having had the connection for couple of months.

Background: Used BT DSL (8Mbps) for about 7 years and got frustrated with the slow speeds (felt like London was the slowest location in the world where I worked from). BT said can't offer anything faster in Kensington and Chelsea and asked to wait for BT Infinity, seems like they have some problems with the local council. After a general chat with building concierge came to know about HyperOptic availability and immediately placed the order for 1Gbps.

Suggestion: Hyper optic should continue to market their services even in buildings that are already wired. Do not assume people are all aware or speak to each other; especially in buildings with large floating population.

Installation experience: Took 2.5 weeks for faceplate installation, mostly because I was travelling. There was a sub-contractor that came to install. Had to tell them to put it in the comms room and they took couple of hours to figure out how to connect it where I wanted. However the person did not connect the cables to the router properly so was not working at all. They said wait for couple of hours and it would work automatically. Eventually I had to call Hyperoptic customer service and change over the cables myself.

Suggestion: Don't assume everyone wants their connection through the front door and the staff should at least stay till the internet is up and running. They seemed in a big rush towards the end (I assume it took them longer to route it to my comms room so they were running late).

Router itself: I have a separate switch which connects a few airport extremes to extend the network across the whole house so I wanted to switch off the wifi on the Hyperhub. Eventually with bit of internet research; nothing much is available on specs of Hyperhub; I decided to replace it with Draytek all together - something I can have more control over. Was easy to do and customer service was wonderful in assisting it. Happy with the current setup now.

Suggestion: Would be good if there was more information available on Hyberhub. Also it has only 1 Gbps port which may be a drawback for people. Maybe offer 2 models for Hyberhub intermediate and advanced (with more ports etc).

Overall Speed: It is glorious to have 1Gbps. I use 2 yr old Macbook Air and get 200Mbps+ over wifi and 700Mbps over wired connection. It is also very consistent. Lots of things get done very quickly - e.g. emails, photos, etc. I don't watch a lot of video (others in family do) but whatever little I have tried is as fast as your device allows it...

This is how internet should be. We have several gadgets that hook directly to internet (e.g. piano, game consoles, squeezebox, iphones etc) and each can function on it's own without worrying about bandwidth.

However, not all the websites are fast, but then I do know it is the web-server that is the problem. Reminds me of 1996 when I used to sit on the internet backbone while at work but had dialup at home - the difference was striking. And this move from BT to HyperOptic is as striking as that.

Overall, very pleased with it, have had no problems. Many people would customise their networks at home and I did mine as well - works beautifully.

Best Wishes and hope you wire up more homes and offices...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:57:16
Print Post

Re: HyperOptic Review

[re: ADKB] [link to this post]

How much did it cost you?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ADKB
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 14:05:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

First Invoice was £156 including installation etc.

Now £60 a month including VAT. Totally worth it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AvidiShaw
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 17:21:10
Print Post

Thanks for the post ADKB, your comments are very constructive!

If you wish to add to your feedback you should have received a Customer Survey recently to the email address you signed up with (assuming you haven't filled it in already of course!)

If anyone else reading this thread would like to offer their comments we'd love to hear from you!

Dave
Hyperoptic Customer Support
Standard User jenssen
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:06:38
Print Post

[re: AvidiShaw] [link to this post]

Very happy other than not being able to get anywhere with connecting Hyperhub to Apple Time Capsule for using my existing wifi. Customer support just said, sorry we can't help you with anything other than Hyperhub, go to Apple Support. Nothing there and nothing here that I can see:

broadband works fine ethernet to MacBook Air and shows on Hyperbub as solid green;

same ethernet cable swapped for ethernet from Zen router, no broadband on AIrport wifi and Hyperhub solid amber.

Will fresh post also and continue hunting net for solution. I can't be the only Hyperhub customer who uses Airport for wifi.

Any help meantime would be great.

Otherwise, good so far: only 10 days from sign-up to installation; installation smooth and fast and got socket where I wanted with no visible wires; phone up and running within timeframe; speeds great. Not ported phone number yet, so jury's awaiting evidence.

Adam
Standard User jenssen
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:23:50
Print Post

[re: jenssen] [link to this post]

Other similar posts on Apple Support re Talk Talk fibre suggested checking PPPoE, CHCP or Static. When phone Hyperoptic to check which, I got different guy who suggested turning off and on Time Capsule to see if new static address. Although still solid amber on Hyperhub for that ethernet port, all now seems fine.

Next!

Time to ask for phone number to be ported across.
Standard User emrahaslan
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-15 07:03:09
Print Post

Hi ADKB,

I have seen your post regarding draytek router with Hyperoptic. I have a Draytek as well which I would like to use it with Hyperoptic. Is there anyway to get the settings on router (may be screenshots)?

thanks for your help
emrah
  Print Thread

Jump to