User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BringBack56k
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:28:23
Print Post

Hyperoptic ...... Have you read the data protection act ?

[link to this post]

Ok... time to name and shame Hyperoptic for spamming out reams of junkmail and ignoring the Data Protection Act, namely :

However, as with electronic marketing, if the person or organisation you're targeting asks to be taken off your mailing list, you must comply with their request. There are no exceptions to this rule, and if you fail to comply, they can apply to the courts for an order against you under section 11 of the Data Protection Act.

(http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/sector_guides/marketing)

I've been receiving junk after junk from them through my letter box.

I've called AND written to them twice asking them to stop. Yet they persist.

Will it really take a court order under section 11 of the Data Protection Act to get them from sending their incessant junk mail ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Apr-13 17:32:06
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic ...... Have you read the data protection act

[re: BringBack56k] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BringBack56k:
( http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/sector_guides/ma... )

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Thu 11-Apr-13 22:54:18
Print Post

Hello

First of all, welcome to the thinkbroadband forum!

I am sorry to hear about your experience however am surprised your request/s were not fulfilled. As we have received less than 10 requests for removal since 2011, your post is of great concern to me. I have spent this evening investigating however I do need further information from you (who did you speak/write to and when plus your address). Once I have this information I can investigate further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With thanks and regards

Sunita Sharma
Head of marketing

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BringBack56k
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:57:11
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

Afraid I don't buy into your little miss innocent play given that the second time I called the guy said he remembered me from the first time.

Your directors will soon be receiving final notice cease and desist letters, so I'm sure they'll be on your case soon.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:06:00
Print Post

Apparently there is a huge loophole around that clause of the DPA which I found out after VM spamming me constantly with mail and repeated requests to stop.

If they change your name to "The Occupier" the DPA doesn't apply and the Royal Mail have a duty of care to deliver them.

It is a crazy loophole and when I spoke to the information comissioner's office they are concerned that this was being abused.

For me the only way to stop VM was to write to their legal department saying that for every one of those letters I got I would bill them £10 for my time that it took to deal with them.

The letters stopped pretty fast after that.

Edited by undecidedadrian (Fri 12-Apr-13 11:06:51)

ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:18:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by BringBack56k:
Afraid I don't buy into your little miss innocent play given that the second time I called the guy said he remembered me from the first time.

Your directors will soon be receiving final notice cease and desist letters, so I'm sure they'll be on your case soon.

Hello again!

As I said last night, you are welcome to drop an email to me at any time (sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com) with your details. Until I have your address, I am unable to confirm whether your address has been removed. I have spoken with our Customer Support team and any requests that they have received, have been actioned - hence why I'd like you to provide details.

I look forward to receiving communications from you so that I may be able to investigate further.

With thanks and best wishes

Sunita
Head of Marketing

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to