User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jenssen
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:15:05
Print Post

Hyperoptic Hyperhub connect Airport Extreme or Time Capsule

[link to this post]

Newly connected. Want to continue to use Time Capsule wifi rather than Hyperhub wifi. Swapped ethernet from Hyperhub for the one from Zen router. No internet on Time Capsule wifi, and amber light showing for the ethernet port on Hyperhub. Plug same cable into MacBook Air, broadband works a treat and ethernet port on Hyperhub showing green.

Any pointers on how I get the Hyperoptic broadband to work with Airport? Hyperoptic support said go look at Apple Support. Can't find anything there.

Otherwise, very happy so far to have switched to Hyperoptic.

Many thanks,

Adam
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 17:41:59
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic Hyperhub connect Airport Extreme or Time Caps

[re: jenssen] [link to this post]

Am a little confused as you say Time Capsule and Zen router, not sure where the Zen router fits in at all.

Found

1. Use the Airport Utility to enable "bridge mode" on the Time Capsule. Do this by running the utility, select your Time Capsule and click on the Manual Setup button, click on the Internet button, and at the bottom of the window select "Bridge mode" from the "Connection Sharing" drop down box.

2. Cable any of the Time Capsule ethernet ports to the ethernet LAN port on the 2Wire router. If you need extra LAN ports for cabled devices on your network, you can connect them to the spare port on the Time Capsule.

On Apple Support https://discussions.apple.com/message/6752382#6752382

The Time Capsule is really just a router, but with a special name by Apple, so its about configuring it to exist happily behind the Hyperhub.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 13-Nov-13 17:43:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think he's saying he used an ethernet cable from a zen router that was known to work.

What's a 2wire?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:03:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

2Wire router - its just a brand name for a set of routers, that generally work very well and one of the first to have decent parental controls on them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jenssen
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:17:51
Print Post

Thanks, Mr Saffron

Other similar posts re Talk Talk suggested checking PPPoE, CHCP or Static. When phone Hyperoptic to check got different guy who suggested turning off and on Time Capsule to see if new static address. All now seems fine.
Standard User jenssen
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:19:39
Print Post

BatBoy, yes - Zen router is (now was) outgoing router. All sorted (see reply to Mr Saffron). Adam
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:50:26
Print Post

Sorry, I can't see why it's relevant.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User jpl1953
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 22:35:21
Print Post

Im with hyperoptic and also use a time capsule with no problems. I have both the hyper optic wireless network and my time capsule wireless network available. All I had to do was as previousy stated put the time capsule into bridge mode and that is connected to the hyperoptic router via ethernet. Everything works fine for me. Im not sure what other routers will work with hyperoptic as its fibre to the property so I don't think ordinary ADSL routers will work - I could of course be talking through my proverbial smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:03:41
Print Post

I had copy/pasted the two points taken from an Apple support post and it just happened to mention a 2Wire router in that text. That is all, nothing to worry the planet about.

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Thu 14-Nov-13 08:38:48
Print Post

[re: jpl1953] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpl1953:
Im not sure what other routers will work with hyperoptic as its fibre to the property so I don't think ordinary ADSL routers will work - I could of course be talking through my proverbial smile

ADSL routers won't work as routers, but with most of them you could get away with disabling the DHCP server in them and changing the IP address of the admin interface so that you could still use them as a switch or wireless access point.

Once the IP is changed and DHCP is disabled you'd want to connect one of their Lan ports to the Lan port in the hyperhub.

If you have network cabling throughout your property you could for instance connect the other router at another location to extend the wireless coverage or it might be that you had a router with dual-band wireless and simply wanted to use it's wireless.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to