User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Nov-15 22:16:07
Print Post

Any change on the garbage router?

[link to this post]

The worst thing about hyperoptic by far is the included router. Only 1 gigabit ethernet port [rest are 100meg] and only 2.4GHz wifi. Which means that the 2.4GHz block gets completely saturated in new developments because everyone ends up on hyperoptic.

Are they ever going to change this garbage router? It's embarrassingly bad on a gigabit ftth service.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Wed 25-Nov-15 15:01:38
Print Post

Re: Any change on the garbage router?

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

The last 2 routers at least have had all gigabit ports, although sadly were still 2.4ghz only. Not sure if they've since released an 11AC one or not as haven't been involved in anything Hyperoptic for nearly a year now.

From that description that sounds like the inteno, which was their first router.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 26-Nov-15 10:44:24
Print Post

Hello,

The latest router we supply has 4 gigabit ethernet ports, to check if yours is that make we would need your details in PM. This is indeed N WI-Fi standard router and most customers seem to be very happy with performance. An AC router is not included with subscription to our packages.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Nov-15 11:25:17
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Does Hyperopic allow customers to use there own equipment?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Nov-15 15:02:49
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Have seen people looking for things like very fast Netgear Nighthawks before now.

I guess main issue is that if you use the Hyperoptic voip/phone service on existing router, switching out will mean that is no longer available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Nov-15 16:40:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahh, fair enough, I forgot about the VoIP service!

I suppose its choosing one over the other, I would say Hyperopic need to sort this out but they won't I'm sure.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Thu 26-Nov-15 23:47:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
The worst thing about hyperoptic by far is the included router. Only 1 gigabit ethernet port [rest are 100meg] and only 2.4GHz wifi. Which means that the 2.4GHz block gets completely saturated in new developments because everyone ends up on hyperoptic.

Are they ever going to change this garbage router? It's embarrassingly bad on a gigabit ftth service.

Whilst I am not using Hyperoptic I have a similarly unimpressive router but I use a second router, a Buffalo Air Station with DNS server switched off, to give me wireless N and the gigabit ports I want for the home network.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 27-Nov-15 10:31:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Does Hyperopic allow customers to use there own equipment?

If a customer chooses to use their equipment, that is possible. We would provide the settings needed to enable connection via third party router, or provide instructions how to use another router as a secondary cascaded router.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User neilka
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 14:13:54
Print Post

The 1Gb service at least works fine with any router without any configuration required. (In fact it works without a router at all, as connecting a PC directly to the socket works, although obviously that's of limited use...)

Providing a non-802.11ac router with a gigabit service is a slightly baffling decision, although I imagine they realise anyone who cares about reaching full speed is going to swap out the router anyway.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-15 19:43:57
Print Post

[re: neilka] [link to this post]

Yeah, but the real problem is it's not even 5GHz 802.11n - round me *everyone* is using the 2.4GHz router meaning at peak times wifi performance is abysmal. Probably one of the most bizarre cost savings I've ever seen.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to