User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Nov-15 22:16:07
Print Post

Any change on the garbage router?

[link to this post]

The worst thing about hyperoptic by far is the included router. Only 1 gigabit ethernet port [rest are 100meg] and only 2.4GHz wifi. Which means that the 2.4GHz block gets completely saturated in new developments because everyone ends up on hyperoptic.

Are they ever going to change this garbage router? It's embarrassingly bad on a gigabit ftth service.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Wed 25-Nov-15 15:01:38
Print Post

Re: Any change on the garbage router?

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

The last 2 routers at least have had all gigabit ports, although sadly were still 2.4ghz only. Not sure if they've since released an 11AC one or not as haven't been involved in anything Hyperoptic for nearly a year now.

From that description that sounds like the inteno, which was their first router.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 26-Nov-15 10:44:24
Print Post

Hello,

The latest router we supply has 4 gigabit ethernet ports, to check if yours is that make we would need your details in PM. This is indeed N WI-Fi standard router and most customers seem to be very happy with performance. An AC router is not included with subscription to our packages.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Nov-15 11:25:17
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Does Hyperopic allow customers to use there own equipment?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Nov-15 15:02:49
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Have seen people looking for things like very fast Netgear Nighthawks before now.

I guess main issue is that if you use the Hyperoptic voip/phone service on existing router, switching out will mean that is no longer available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Nov-15 16:40:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahh, fair enough, I forgot about the VoIP service!

I suppose its choosing one over the other, I would say Hyperopic need to sort this out but they won't I'm sure.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Thu 26-Nov-15 23:47:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
The worst thing about hyperoptic by far is the included router. Only 1 gigabit ethernet port [rest are 100meg] and only 2.4GHz wifi. Which means that the 2.4GHz block gets completely saturated in new developments because everyone ends up on hyperoptic.

Are they ever going to change this garbage router? It's embarrassingly bad on a gigabit ftth service.

Whilst I am not using Hyperoptic I have a similarly unimpressive router but I use a second router, a Buffalo Air Station with DNS server switched off, to give me wireless N and the gigabit ports I want for the home network.
(isp) Fri 27-Nov-15 10:31:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Does Hyperopic allow customers to use there own equipment?

If a customer chooses to use their equipment, that is possible. We would provide the settings needed to enable connection via third party router, or provide instructions how to use another router as a secondary cascaded router.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User neilka
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 14:13:54
Print Post

The 1Gb service at least works fine with any router without any configuration required. (In fact it works without a router at all, as connecting a PC directly to the socket works, although obviously that's of limited use...)

Providing a non-802.11ac router with a gigabit service is a slightly baffling decision, although I imagine they realise anyone who cares about reaching full speed is going to swap out the router anyway.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-15 19:43:57
Print Post

[re: neilka] [link to this post]

Yeah, but the real problem is it's not even 5GHz 802.11n - round me *everyone* is using the 2.4GHz router meaning at peak times wifi performance is abysmal. Probably one of the most bizarre cost savings I've ever seen.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:01:10
Print Post

[re: neilka] [link to this post]

The 20/100M service Used to use a /31 subnet (RFC3021) I don't know if that's still the case, but providing the router supported that then hyperoptic didn't mind people plugging in their own equipment.

Of course as with any ISP it's a good idea to keep the supplied equipment somewhere where you can connect it if needed should you run into problems (It makes providing support so much easier)

If you don't want to use their router and still want phone service you can ask if they're willing to provide the SIP settings to enable the use of a 3rd party device, but ask them before buying anything because I'm not sure what their current policy is on this.
Standard User Olly_
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 23:49:24
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dragon2611:
If you don't want to use their router and still want phone service you can ask if they're willing to provide the SIP settings to enable the use of a 3rd party device, but ask them before buying anything because I'm not sure what their current policy is on this.

You can extract the SIP username and password from the router - at least that's what I did.
Standard User Nissemus_UK
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 15:10:44
Print Post

[re: Olly_] [link to this post]

They'll give you the SIP settings if you ask them. You can use a dedicated SIP device, or a FRITZ!Box router works as well.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Wed 09-Mar-16 16:11:30
Print Post

[re: Nissemus_UK] [link to this post]

Saying that, it looks as though it'd be cheaper overall to get the broadband only package then investigate another SIP provider for your voice call needs (if these exist at all, with many mobile contracts coming with unlimited minutes)
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Thu 10-Mar-16 09:55:27
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Saying that, it looks as though it'd be cheaper overall to get the broadband only package then investigate another SIP provider for your voice call needs (if these exist at all, with many mobile contracts coming with unlimited minutes)

Yep still plenty of SIP providers still around that will happily sell to individuals. Rates vary depending on provider and if you want bundled minutes or not, but it's quite possible to get 1-2p/min for landlines and somewhere between 3-15p/min to mobiles.

Depending on the destination country international calls can be just as cheap as well.

If you are a light user AAISP might be worth a look, they'll sell SIP on it's own and it works out a couple £ per number + outgoing call charges.

Edited by dragon2611 (Thu 10-Mar-16 09:56:14)

(isp) Thu 10-Mar-16 11:55:07
Print Post

Hi blueacid,

That's an interesting thought. If we take for example our middle package - 100Mb with equal download and upload speeds that comes at £30 per month for 12 months as a broadband only option, on an annual level, it will cost you (£30*12)+£40(account activation) which amounts to £400 per annum.

If you compare the same package with the phone included (free evening and weekend calls to all UK landline numbers), it comes as £15+£16 (line rental) for 12 months, which amounts to £31*12 = £372.

In this instance, you would actually be saving money just by opting for a broadband AND phone deal, as that's what our latest promotion discounts. If you'd like to learn more, you can check out our latest offers -> http://ow.ly/Z4IbO

- Nick

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 15-Mar-16 10:44:52
Print Post

Aha! That's annoying, when I signed up the price to have a phone line through you was eeee-eeever so slightly higher than just the bare broadband only price, so I went for that smile

Still, I've not missed the home phone: I asked for it to be disconnected when I left Plusnet to join Hyperoptic, not looked back!
(isp) Tue 15-Mar-16 11:02:57
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Hi blueacid,

We're glad that you've seen no visible difference in the quality between the VoIP and regular landline - that's what we were aiming for. Did you know you that could use your smartphone to answer your landline calls by inputting VoIP details into an app? smile

As far as the pricing goes, it does change periodically, so one will always be slightly better than the other. However, not all is lost, you can always give us a call once your contract expires to ask for the newest promotion to be applied and change the package if necessary, to get the best price possible.

Nick

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Standard User inonefly
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 23:49:48
Print Post

[re: Olly_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Olly_:
In reply to a post by dragon2611:

You can extract the SIP username and password from the router - at least that's what I did.

Hi Olly, So you are using your own router with a SIP device to enable the phone service? Could you share what device you are using? Thanks a lot.
Standard User inonefly
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 23:52:01
Print Post

[re: inonefly] [link to this post]

or would anyone recommend a SIP device to use with own router so I can keep the phone usable? I have a netgear r7000 that I want to replace the hyperoptic router but still want to use the phone. would a VoIP phone work when plug into the router directly, assuming hyperoptic will provide the username/pw etc?
Standard User JimBRL
(newbie) Sat 23-Apr-16 07:33:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by inonefly:
or would anyone recommend a SIP device to use with own router so I can keep the phone usable? I have a netgear r7000 that I want to replace the hyperoptic router but still want to use the phone. would a VoIP phone work when plug into the router directly, assuming hyperoptic will provide the username/pw etc?

I use a Cisco SPA112 (~£40) which was setup pretty easily - happy to list my config if needed. I've had it working with a few different routers Netgear 7500 (5ghz wireless nightmare!) same with Asus ac87u (loved the interface though) so got an Asus 68u which works perfectly which I've now flashed with Merlin firmware. Excellent router for getting the most out of 1gbps!
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sat 23-Apr-16 08:56:01
Print Post

[re: JimBRL] [link to this post]

Not on Hyperoptic but I use a Gigaset N300IP DECT basestation for VOIP.

Like the fact it uses their standard DECT handsets for the handset side which means they're usually fairly reasonably priced.

I believe It can supposedly work with other handsets but I'd assume they'd be unable to report certain status messages.etc you'd get on SIP

Pulse8 80/20 FTTC (~70Mbit/s sync) & Sky 40/10 FTTC
Standard User inonefly
(newbie) Sat 23-Apr-16 18:09:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by JimBRL:
I use a Cisco SPA112 (~¡�40) which was setup pretty easily - happy to list my config if needed. I've had it working with a few different routers Netgear 7500 (5ghz wireless nightmare!) same with Asus ac87u (loved the interface though) so got an Asus 68u which works perfectly which I've now flashed with Merlin firmware. Excellent router for getting the most out of 1gbps!

are you with Hyperoptic? if so how did you get the SIP username and password? if this setup works and hyperoptic would provide the password I'd get the cisco adaptor right away : )
Standard User JimBRL
(newbie) Sun 24-Apr-16 13:42:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by inonefly:
are you with Hyperoptic? if so how did you get the SIP username and password? if this setup works and hyperoptic would provide the password I'd get the cisco adaptor right away : )

Yes, on Hyperoptic. If you ask support they'll give you your SIP credentials.
Standard User inonefly
(newbie) Tue 26-Apr-16 14:14:49
Print Post

Thanks, I have the spa112 on order and will contact hyperoptic for the credentials.
Standard User kevincredible
(newbie) Fri 03-Jun-16 11:35:23
Print Post

If you don't mind, please can you share the SPA112 settings you used to connect to the Hyperoptic VOIP service?
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jun-16 19:51:42
Print Post

which app would this be?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-16 21:23:25
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

This? http://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphone/download/zoi...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:09:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thank you
Standard User JimBRL
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-16 15:05:37
Print Post

[re: kevincredible] [link to this post]

Proxy: sip.hyperoptic.com
UserID and Password you'll get from support and as far as I can remember, everything else was default (except I gave mine static IP iirc).
If that doesn't work Kevin, reply and I'm happy to email you screenshots of the full setup - there are plenty of settings so it's not really practical to post!
Standard User someone000
(newbie) Sun 19-Jun-16 16:28:43
Print Post

Hi guys, I have just bought a Linksys WRT1900ACS for use with Hyperoptic as the router they supply is a POS. Anyway, I note that you have managed to get it working with the CPA112, but does anyone know if it is possible to do so without getting a CPA112? I was thinking Hyperoptic Socket->WRT1900ACS->WRT LAN1 to HyperHub WAN->HyperHub Phone port (FXS) to Phone. I connected this up and it actually worked for about 2 minutes, before the phone became deregistered, presumably due to inaccessibility. A quick google suggests the problem is probably the SIP ALG, and the way it uses ports (5060 static for initialising connection, any random port for RTP, seriously who designs such a [censored] protocol??) Anyway, I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to how one might set it up. I Have forwarded 5060 and 5061 to the Hyperhub WAN, and set port triggering on 50000-65535 which appears to be the default for the HyperHub. Any ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-16 13:21:13
Print Post

[re: someone000] [link to this post]

The protocol itself works fine, it's [censored] NAT's/ALG's that are the problem.

Also back in 1999 when it was designed I doubt NAT's where so commonplace.

SIP is a good use case for IPv6 no need for a NAT to be screwing about with the traffic.

AAISP HOME:1T FTTC & Sky FTTC
Standard User someone000
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-16 13:49:56
Print Post

Fair enough. Still haven't had any luck setting it up. Do you think I should disable SIP ALG on the HyperHub and enable it on the WRT instead given that this is the router I have connected to the Hyperoptic WAN port?
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-16 14:51:35
Print Post

[re: someone000] [link to this post]

You could try the ALG on the WRT and see if it helps, I don't think modifying it on the hyperhub itself will do anything as your SIP device isn't behind it.

Are you able to change the registration interval to something like 360 seconds it might be a case of the Conntrack entry expiring on the NAT.

AAISP HOME:1T FTTC & Sky FTTC
Standard User someone000
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-16 14:56:36
Print Post

Will give that a go and report back. So given that the setup looks like Phone->HyperHUb->WRT1900ACS->Internet, in summary I have:

1. Forwarded 5060 and 5061 to the HyperHub
2. Enabled SIP ALG on the WRT, disabled on the HyerHub
3. Changed refresh interval to 360s on the HyperHub

Anything else I should be doing?
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-16 17:07:47
Print Post

I ended up getting a mates spare BT HomeHub and using it as an AP. Very easy to set up and the service is so much better.

I have literally no idea why Hyperoptic don't supply a 802.11ac router. It really lets their service down, literally for the sake of a few quid.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 17-Jul-16 23:55:22
Print Post

Fulfilling the contract from the manufacturer their current routers i reckon.

Once that is up they will probably start supplying an AC router.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Smart Hub*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to