User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-15 22:22:19
Print Post

Hyperoptic going live

[link to this post]

Hyperoptic have just installed in my building and are pushing their service. I have some questions.

I remember reading threads here a while back about packet loss at peak times, is this now resolved? Are there any speed issues currently?

I noticed that BT Openreach where doing the install, does that mean BT will also be releasing a fibre product in due course in my building?

Why does the broadband only product cost a few pounds less than the broadband + phone line option? Surely the advantage of having FTTP is that a phone line is no longer needed?

What's the best router to use with this service seeing as I'll need to use wireless?

Why does the earlybird offer only apply to broadband + phone and not also to broadband only? Is this an oversight or are you trying to herd us?

Draytek 2820n
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Dec-15 22:34:13
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic going live

[re: ritcH] [link to this post]

The broadband only is a fixed price product, where with broadband + phone there is opportunity for revenue from the phone calls which is really a voip service rather than a traditional phone line (but their router presents the voip in a way that all standard phones work with it)

Thats the price differentials explained.

On the router - you can go with their router and add an extra wireless access point or replace it with some thing like the Netgear Nighthawk R8000 to get better wireless, though the voip service will not work then.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-15 22:55:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will a normal phone plug into the router for VOIP or will I have to buy a different type of phone? Humm I feel some CAT6 cabling coming on.

Draytek 2820n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User locutus
(experienced) Wed 02-Dec-15 08:41:24
Print Post

Yes, you just plug a normal phone into the router.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:26:29
Print Post

Don't buy a BT branded phone, chances are that they won't work. HO did offer some sort of adapter for BT branded phones, but it's not guaranteed to work.
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:31:36
Print Post

Openreach do the install right up to the building, as the only ducting the fibre can travel down is theirs, and only BT or their appointed contractors are allowed access to the ducting. Hyperoptic have either leased or bought that fibre cable, so it doesn't mean BT can offer services down it - unless Hyperoptic went bust perhaps
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Wed 02-Dec-15 12:07:07
Print Post

I wouldn't have thought Openreach would be doing the actual install. I agree with the previous poster, they certainly do use Openreach fibre to get the Hyperoptic service to the general vicinity of the building. You'll then probably see a Hyperoptic joint box cover (in the pavement) very close to a BT joint box cover, this is where the two networks join.

Hyperoptic will then use their own subcontractors to run the fibre from their joint box into some kind of distribution point in the building and into each apartment that orders it.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 02-Dec-15 16:15:16
Print Post

ritcH

The voice service only costs a few £s to run, the major cost is in the connectivity ( Fibre + final lead-in) and the backhaul to the internet.

All the real cost for the voice is in the Call server to handle the call routing and the QOS service over the seperate Voice VLAN if HO use this. ( Prevents contention between voice and data in the backhaul). This is very small. The bandwidth for the voice is lost in the data size (135Kb in 100s of Mb).

This is true even for PSTN where the Copper cost makes up 90%+ of the total cost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-15 19:51:54
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

Eh? The phone socket is a standard RJ11 so any standard phone or dect handset should work. What exact model do you know does not work?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-15 00:02:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hyperoptic themselves warn in emails, before setting up the phone service, that BT branded phones are unlikely to work. They say they have an adapter which might help but not guaranteed. I had an old 706 phone, which obviously I couldn't use with this service, so I sent out and got a BT branded phone and it didn't work (I hadn't noticed the warning in the emails). I went out and got a Binatone phone and it works perfectly.

See this

https://hyperoptic.com/connecting-your-phone/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to