User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-15 00:04:30
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic going live

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

BT installed right into our building from a node that was already in the street, and connected the cable to H/O';s equipment. H/O then did some full testing and then issued a go live date
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-15 10:57:10
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

In theory at most all it should require is an adaptor with a ringing capacitor, however I was never able to get any concrete info on what models didn't work.

It's strange to say the least given that all BT sockets are a standard and the phones should be as well.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-15 16:15:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But a 'standard BT phone jack' http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/large/jack_431A...
Isn't an RJ11, is this maybe what Hyperopic meant ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Dec-15 16:31:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

99.9% of UK phones have a BT plug on them - presume the Hyperoptic router has that socket or as is more common for CPE is for a RJ11 to BT plug converted to be included. For anyone who needs one a microfilter will do the job too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-15 10:24:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A lot of phones are RJ-11 at the phone end, but as MrSaffron said adaptors to connect the BT style plug to the RJ-11 on the router are available.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 04-Dec-15 11:04:50
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Hello,

All phones with RJ-11 socket will work, there are issues when connecting only BT handsets, and those branded Bang&Olufsen. Any other (with RJ-11 connectors) will work.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Dec-15 11:47:46
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Is the problem due to the absence of a ring signal on pin 3?
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Fri 04-Dec-15 17:22:48
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aliturk:
BT installed right into our building from a node that was already in the street, and connected the cable to H/O';s equipment. H/O then did some full testing and then issued a go live date

Makes sense too, Hyperoptic must have not wanted to do any digging at all.

It's funny isn't it, when Hyperoptic first started I mentioned that this was how it would work but people laughed at me and assured me that Hyperoptic would be digging up pavements and laying stacks of fibre to every building! They could have, sure but it must work out a lot cheaper to do it this way.

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

No because you'd only have two wires going to the main socket. The 3rd wire is only used for extension sockets coming off from the main one. I wonder, however if it's something to do with the ring current, or lack of one. But I guess there must be one?

Edited by Icaras (Fri 04-Dec-15 17:25:09)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Dec-15 17:52:45
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:

No because you'd only have two wires going to the main socket. The 3rd wire is only used for extension sockets coming off from the main one. I wonder, however if it's something to do with the ring current, or lack of one. But I guess there must be one?
I thought the phone connects to the router?
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 06-Dec-15 09:32:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:

I thought the phone connects to the router?

There's ringing signal on PIN 3 even in the master socket in a normal BT POTS setup that's what the capacitor is for wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to