User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:11:34
Print Post

Hyperoptic question

[link to this post]

This may seems like a daft question, but do Hyperoptic deliver their own broadband via their own telephone exchange, use the BT telephone exchange or in another way.

Edited by Timalay (Sun 17-Jan-16 22:13:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Jan-16 23:16:52
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic question

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Does not need to goto a telephone exchange at all and Hyperoptic does not have the concept of a telephone exchange either, it is an IP fibre based network so the voice traffic if you take their telephone service is IP based

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-16 00:20:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

However Hyperoptic has informed me recently that they do "normally" base there equipmemt in an exchange!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Jan-16 11:14:23
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

They may do that, but nothing stopping it being any other building that the fibre links they use goes to. They are just using exchange buildings as a local data centre in some cases, not in the LLU type sense that most people understand.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-16 11:30:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes correct!
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 25-Jan-16 23:09:06
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Nope, the service is provisioned as a standard network socket within the dwelling. In their earlier installs it was literally fibre to each dwelling but on mine (done in October 2015) it was Cat5e ethernet to each dwelling.

So yeah, it's just a network socket. The router they supply has a socket to allow you to connect a phone if you take their voice service, but it's Voice over IP rather than a standard BT socket - so in my case I've just gone with the broadband only service as I just use my mobile for all calls.

Hyperoptic's fibre connection will presumably terminate somewhere, while this could well be a phone exchange it could just as easily be another provider's network point of presence: I'm none the wiser in my case!
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Tue 26-Jan-16 10:27:43
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Hi Timalay,

We wanted to give you more insight into the matter, but blueacid and MrSaffron responded as good as we would have - thank you guys! We use our own infrastructure, and require no telephone exchanges to distribute our service.

Currently, fibre is brought to the basement (in most cases) of a building we are servicing, where our network equipment is installed, and distributed through the building and onto each floor via Cat5e/Cat6 cables.

Once the Ethernet cable is in your flat, it is terminated into a network socket, to which you would be plugging in a router.

If you have any other questions, we would be happy to address them.

Best regards,
Nick (Hyperoptic)

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to