User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Wed 28-Sep-16 20:22:13
Print Post

Re: CG Nat

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The limiting must occur elsewhere; my router connects to their switch at 1Gbit even though I'm on the 100mwg product.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Sep-16 20:23:35
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

How do you mean? In comes into your apartment as a cat5 cable.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Wed 28-Sep-16 21:30:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I think the point raised is that it's believed that Hyperoptic supply the different product speeds by setting limits to the port on the edge switches they deploy in the dwelling units they serve.. And they could indeed do that for the 1gig and 100meg product as you could allow the link to negotiate at 1gig or at only 100meg fdx.. Except they also offer a 20meg down 1meg up product, so the question is: how does that work?

I reported with anecdotal evidence from my own install that the rate between my own router and the switch that Hyperoptic installed in my building is 1gbit fdx, yet I'm on the 100meg product. Thus implying that they use a different method to provide the rate limits for their different products.

Speaking of their different products I noticed references to a 5meg product in their terms and conditions. I wonder whether they're looking to sell an even slower product for cheaper still than the 20meg one?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Sep-16 21:41:46
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

I was asking ignitionet
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:45:47
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

We've been working hard to bring our service to as many sites as possible so that people can enjoy the benefits of our speeds and differing infrastructure. We're always looking for new ways to help people and provide the package that works best for our customers. We'll pass on your feedback to our team, but if you would like to get in touch directly, please email support@hyperoptic.com

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:59:35
Print Post

[re: neilka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by neilka:
Has anyone managed to get a static IP set up yet? There's no option for it in the account settings. I contacted support yesterday but haven't had a reply.

Have you received a response yet? For anyone looking to set up the static IP with us please email in and we will be in touch to arrange. Details below.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-16 10:12:51
Print Post

Lack of IPv6 does not change whether its an Internet connection and for existing customers there has never been IPv6 so no real grounds for a complaint.

Addition of CGNAT - a lot hinges on the implementation, its reliability and how soon IPv6 will appear. So one lawyer will say yes a case, and the same one could easily defend against a complaint.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-16 10:14:18
Print Post

Some of their apartments may have a 5 Mbps 'free' version i.e. bundled into the rent people pay to live there.

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neilka
(member) Thu 29-Sep-16 10:38:30
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
In reply to a post by neilka:
Has anyone managed to get a static IP set up yet? There's no option for it in the account settings. I contacted support yesterday but haven't had a reply.

Have you received a response yet? For anyone looking to set up the static IP with us please email in and we will be in touch to arrange. Details below.

Unfortunately not, it's request 136507 if it's possible to chase it up.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-16 12:43:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I was asking ignitionet

I think blueacid already answered you.

The post I responded to was suggesting that Hyperoptic limit tiers by controlling speed and duplex on the switch ports. Aside from being a bad idea that wouldn't permit a 20Mb service, so the rate limiting can't rely on port speed.

I also note 100Mb speed tests are faster than is possible with Fast Ethernet, so the NIC must be connecting at 1Gb.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to