User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 22:08:51
Print Post

Re: CG Nat

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hyperoptic finally replied to my email with some concerns about this, and managed to avoid answering anything except adding marketing guff.

As a residential customer, there is no difference between static and dynamic IP.
Only if you have specific settings on your connection, hosting server or some services.

"Some Services"? Well, that's covered it then.

As the lack of IPs is a global challenge it's only fair to be applied across the board

I will be asking for someone technical to respond I think.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 21-Oct-16 11:27:10
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Well the follow up from their support was just as bad!

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Oct-16 21:29:07
Print Post

What's wrong with that? Noone will notice. People use their phones more than ever now, virtually everyone uses CGNAT on there with no problems.

It's annoying they are so slow at IPv6 support, granted. But noone cares about CGNAT, even if you're technical you can get round it by using a VPN.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 03-Nov-16 19:38:12
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
What's wrong with that? Noone will notice. People use their phones more than ever now, virtually everyone uses CGNAT on there with no problems.

It's annoying they are so slow at IPv6 support, granted. But noone cares about CGNAT, even if you're technical you can get round it by using a VPN.

Well gamers will notice when their consoles don't get open nat and p2p voice/hosting custom games doesn't work any more.

I don't see VPN as a solution for that unless you can get one with low latency plus kit that will let upnp work with it.

Edited by legume (Thu 03-Nov-16 19:40:11)

Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Fri 04-Nov-16 10:08:00
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by legume:
In reply to a post by mr_mojo:

Well gamers will notice when their consoles don't get open nat and p2p voice/hosting custom games doesn't work any more.

I don't see VPN as a solution for that unless you can get one with low latency plus kit that will let upnp work with it.

UPNP is NOT a requirement for console gaming, most modern systems are quite capable of punching out providing the connection tracking in the firewall allows related replies to come back in. UPNP does make things easier of course, it's also a massive security hole and is precisely how a lot of these IOT things are getting hacked (They helpfully punch UPNP port forwards though the firewall so your camera/whatever app can connect remotely)

Also if the VPN endpoint is nearby then the latency increase can be minimal (a few ms),

I would have thought getting the console on a VPN in the first place would be to tricky for most people, and actually the cost of the hardware needed and the VPN service would probably outweigh the £5 or so hyperoptic want to charge for the static IP.

AAISP HOME:1T FTTC
Standard User legume
(experienced) Fri 04-Nov-16 10:43:12
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

I agree upnp can be bad, plus vpn would be a bit pointless compared to getting a static.

Edit: Though the point about devices being hacked would also preclude setting anything up manually for remote access and people who want to, will find that their hyperoptic internet is less functional than a "normal" internet connection.

On punching out, I've found it varies between games. The examples I gave of hosting and p2p voice just don't seem to work well/at all for some without upnp or port forwarding/dmz for a single device. The consoles themselves may function, but will warn about restricted access - which is not what you should see as a customer that bought a product advertised for gaming. If you have multiple consoles you have to use upnp for all of them to get open nat (only tested with xbox).

My other post in this thread was calling out what I see as misleading advertising = don't say things like best for gaming when you need to add a fiver a month for that to be true.

Edited by legume (Fri 04-Nov-16 10:48:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Nov-16 13:54:36
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Waiting for the non-hypothetical problems to arise

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Binary_Digit
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-16 21:59:41
Print Post

Seems I was switched to CGN the other day and since my ping doubled, internet in general despite having the same speeds (800ish) seems sluggish, things like my Philips Hue lighting system, IP webcam, Dyson fan, sercurity system that uploads images on activation and a few other app/internet connected devices have been acting up.. sometime not seeing the internet or needing their connection reset. Not had the chance to try any gaming stuff yet but will do at the weekend if not switched back by then. I asked Hyperoptic to take me off CGN and give me a static IP. I'll find out when I swap over to a static IP if for sure it is what's causing this..
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:39:11
Print Post

[re: Binary_Digit] [link to this post]

Hello,

Has a static IP been assigned to you? If it hasn't been done yet, please send us a PM so we can speed it up. Let us know if it helps with mentioned issues.

Kind regards,

Ana

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 02-Dec-16 14:58:53
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Hello,

Give me Gigabit speeds, I wouldn't give a flying [censored] about CG Nat

Your customers clearly don't know, or don't appreciate how lucky they are to get even near!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to