User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KuriyamaMirai
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:44:31
Print Post

Complaint about CGN

[link to this post]

Hi all, unfortunately I've just been 'upgraded' to their CGN recently. Clearly they have a different definition of static IP address than the others and they just wanted to charge us ¡ê5/month for a public IP. Is there any where I can send the complaint to other than themselves? I'm on 1Gig package by the way.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Thu 01-Dec-16 15:44:22
Print Post

Re: Complaint about CGN

[re: KuriyamaMirai] [link to this post]

Where are you based in the country? London, or elsewhere?

Also, while you're on the CGNAT, how does the connection perform; are there any speed differences or other differences that you can see?
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:18:59
Print Post

[re: KuriyamaMirai] [link to this post]

Hello KuriyamaMirai,

So sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the fact that we're migrating subscribers from the public static IPs to CGN. This is being done as an interim solution before the IPv6 roll out in the first half od 2017, and all because of the exhaustion of IPv4 on a global level. We are aware that this is affecting some of the customers, therefore we're offering a public static IP at a fee.

If you'd want to raise the issue to discuss could you please forward your concerns to support@hyperoptic.com and our Support Team will be on it.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Thu 08-Dec-16 22:36:05
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Well, I've just been moved to CGNat, despite having spoken to an agent last week who assured me that I could be moved directly to a static IP when the time came for the CGNat move.

If they had said "No, you'll be on CGNat for a while, sorry", then I could have made a plan to keep remote access to my server at home, but being told I would be moved directly to a static IP and for this to then not happen was pretty poor.

Considering blocks of IPv4 can still be purchased from companies selling their spare allocations, and the going rate is typically $10 per IPv4 address, being charged £5 recurring per month is pretty sneaky. Especially since I can get a VPS with a static IP for about that much...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 23:32:07
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
Hello KuriyamaMirai,

So sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the fact that we're migrating subscribers from the public static IPs to CGN. This is being done as an interim solution before the IPv6 roll out in the first half od 2017, and all because of the exhaustion of IPv4 on a global level. We are aware that this is affecting some of the customers, therefore we're offering a public static IP at a fee.

If you'd want to raise the issue to discuss could you please forward your concerns to support@hyperoptic.com and our Support Team will be on it.
Please don't take offence to this comment but anyone who is semi-clued up would never want carrier grade nat, seriously it is a way of BORKING many users connection to the WWW, why is a company like yours even doing this?/
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 09-Dec-16 06:50:44
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

After a few email to Hyperoptic about CGNAT I gave up. It was obvious their support staff aren't very technical and didn't understand the issues, and they ignored requests to escalate it to someone technical.

They used to be great for support. You called and it was answered by someone who knew what they were talking about. Now you get a call handler who seems to have no training. I guess they have severely cut costs with the off shoring.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Dec-16 08:22:12
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Time to vote with actions and leave them then.

Really don't get this CGNAT nonsense. It's like some companies are unwilling or unable to deploy IPv6 but are running (or have run) out of IPv4, so they see this as a quick fix / stop gap work around.

Total madness.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Fri 09-Dec-16 10:51:04
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I'm somewhat trapped; they are the only option where I live if I want anything quicker than ADSL.

Usefully the black friday discount I signed at works out at slightly more than the cost of a static IP, so I'm still making a slight saving compared to before.

That being said, once they deploy IPv6 (in early 2017 like they keep saying...) we'll see how things change.
(isp) Fri 09-Dec-16 14:18:14
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Hello,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. We'd like the opportunity to investigate this further, please email your details to support@hyperoptic.com and we'll follow up.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Fri 09-Dec-16 15:46:09
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Hello,

Sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Can you please PM your details - we'd like to follow up.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to