User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Wed 19-Apr-17 13:47:56
Print Post

SE16 Broadband

[link to this post]

I live in Brunswick Quay, London SE16 and about a month ago one of the neighbours got an email to say you were going to do a survey to see if we could get connected - how long do the surveys normally take to be done and how do we find out if the results of the survey.

Cheers

Malcolm
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Apr-17 09:04:04
Print Post

Re: SE16 Broadband

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

Contact HyperOptic and ask? Just a stab in the dark..
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 24-Apr-17 23:31:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by mmb:
I live in Brunswick Quay, London SE16 and about a month ago one of the neighbours got an email to say you were going to do a survey to see if we could get connected - how long do the surveys normally take to be done and how do we find out if the results of the survey.

Cheers

Malcolm

First thing's first Malcolm, forget any of the companies coming to your aid most our full of BS, I know 2 people who work for this ISP and spoken to them about how to increae their cust base as well as helping people like you out, for example i have a block next to me that has this ISP service, i can even pick up tons of wi-fi signal, so why not sort out some kind of system where we (the neighbours) can jump on the spare bandwidth, they say they have taken it on board, and i know they are working on a system using some kind of dish to do just this but they are painfully slow, in my case i was going to be at least 12 months from anything so looked at my options and come up with something which is far from perfect but WAY better then the options you have open to you know.

A good option for me and by the looks of it you as well was to go for someone called Relish.Net, now punch in your postcode and they say your not covered, but i ignored this and done my own homework plus i did get some superb help on usenet as well, anyway Relish work on a system that is not a million miles away from 4G on your mobile just higher up the band (Band 43 i think) their mast is based on the IOD (Tiller Road, E14) if you have a half decent lie of site (and i think u do) to Tiller road your laughing you will need some new hardware which is going to cost about £160 from the US it's ebay item number 302265838338 no i have nothing to do with him, it will give you everything you need to mount the external antenna, it works just like a sky dish,i had to stick mine on a mast and pole but that was no issue as it had been up their for years for other radio hardware, I'm almost certain that router and antenna is Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) so it's a simple case of plug everything in and for 5 minutes the antenna will make a load of bleeps telling you what is best signal, and away you go unlimited download at 30+mbits.

I know nothing is that simple, customer service is the worst even worse then Sky TV, none of then know what day of the week it is, i tried to sign up and they refused me i had to have a ding dong match with some idiot to get me signed up but you do get 14 or 28 day trial, yes you need to invest in kit but if you have nothing coming you way soon you have to bite the bullet, during busy times it does slow, sometimes down to 2-3mbits but that is only sort of 6pm till 10pm and most of that time i'm doing dinner or watching tv so no bothers for me.

Of course it all depends on EXACTLY where you are but now you know where the mast is you can work out if it will work for you, i have put about 5 or 6 people that way and most have been happy it's just the cost of the hardware that makes people think twice but for less then £200 it's well worth it, if you want i'm happy to meet you and show you my dish etc and my location to see if it will help you any just PM me and we will sort time and place, i'm just a bit closer to the farm then u.

All1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 25-Apr-17 14:27:59
Print Post

Cheers

Malcolm

You could (if you haven't already) drop them a call on: 0333 332 1111

CJT.

On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 25-Apr-17 20:34:04
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Thanks alloneword - I had heard about Relish - they recently got their planning application to put a mast in Rotherhithe turned down by Southwark Council - although I should have line of sight to the Relish Mast in the Docklands we have another problem in Brunswick Quay - in 1985 the London Docklands corporation planted the wrong type of trees (London Plane trees) - these are now growing out of control and Southwark Council don't prune them so they have now reached a height that the majority of Brunswick Quay can no longer have Sky as the trees block the signal - where I live I have trees directly in front of me that I believe would block reception to the Relish mast.

I will contact Hyperoptic to see what they are saying but not holding out too much hope
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 26-Apr-17 16:44:02
Print Post

...although I should have line of sight to the Relish Mast in the Docklands we have another problem in Brunswick Quay - in 1985 the London Docklands corporation planted the wrong type of trees (London Plane trees) - these are now growing out of control and Southwark Council don't prune them so they have now reached a height that the majority of Brunswick Quay can no longer have Sky........

Sounds like ALL the local residents need to get onto Southwalk Council en-mass and get that sorted! Typical idea's back in the day for tree planting... oh this looks nice! 30 years later.. OH S**t it grows too much!

CJT.

On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:01:19
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

We have tried complaining but Southwark Council don't do anything - this is from Southwark Council's Tree Management Strategy 2013 document under excluded works
5.2.7 Excluded works
To ensure that current resources are utilised most effectively, the Council will not undertake works to address the following issues;
Tree blocking light or creating shade
Interference with TV or satellite dish reception
Blocking or obscuring views
Nuisance from Insects or other non-hazardous wildlife
Droppings from roosting birds
Honeydew sap
Leaf, fruit and seed fall
Pollen
Tree is considered too large by complainant
Maintain trees in tenants front/rear gardens unless instructed by Housing
The Council will not prune or remove trees in response to these issues as these works can be detrimental to the health and appearance of Southwark’s trees.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:11:19
Print Post

Hello Malcolm,

Our team is doing a survey at the moment to evaluate and agree the best way for us to install. Make sure to register your interest on our website and we will keep you posted on the progress.

Best regards,

Ana

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to