User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 13:07:20
Print Post

Hyperoptic - fast speed but can't stream video

[link to this post]

Hi,

So sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm at my wits end (I am in touch with Hyperoptic support and they are being as helpful as they can, but I'm interested to know if anybody else has had the same experience as me and whether they solved it).

I had Hyperoptic installed a week ago, since then I am getting decent speed test results - 800mbps with a wire and 60ish wifi (I do have an aftermarket AP to improve this but I want it to work properly before I set it up).

On paper, it is great, but in reality it's really giving me problems - wifi speed test up and down 60mbps 1 minute 1.5mbps the next, my iPhone struggles to load Amazon, twitter and check emails at times. The real concern however is using the wired connection. Speed test saying 800mbps yet it cannot play a Twitch stream or Netflix, it either just buffers indefinitely or plays a second then buffers for ages before playing a couple more seconds. This also happens with Facebook videos.

I am trying various tests with Hyperoptic support but so far they cannot see an issue - they said it could be Twitch but I find it hard to believe Netflix and Twitch would have issues at the same time. Not only this but I can run the Twitch stream fine on my iPad using the Sky 10mb wifi that I have not yet cancelled, while their 800mbps wired connection can't even load it.

I just don't know what to do, I really want it to work as we are desperate for faster internet but I'm not sure what is going on! Has anybody else had this sort of problem?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-May-17 15:24:14
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic - fast speed but can't stream video

[re: wasbie] [link to this post]

Can you post a link to a speed test result from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

The issue may not be the broadband itself but with the way that Hyperoptic link to sites like Twitch and Netflix

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 12-May-17 19:33:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also, what speed do you get from https://fast.com/ ?

Try a VPN, like Opera VPN (free from app store), I get about 15Mbps up and down on a speedtest.net test from it.

Also, change the DNS to avoid Hypertoptics if possible, maybe Googles ones, 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-May-17 10:18:41
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

DNS change should only affect the initial startup i.e. name resolution as once streaming the domain has been recently accessed and thus in local cache

fast.com uses the Netflix CDN infrastructure (no idea if they guarantee it to use same location as your Netflix films) and only shares a single figure, much more can figured out from our testing since the graphs can be shared after.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 12:01:29
Print Post

Thanks, I will do tests today both over wifi and LAN and post back here. I've just downloaded an update file on my PS4 using the LAN connection and it downloads fast then stops completely, then it downloads another chunk and then stops again, under the test internet connection it connects every time but when it was going fast download said 160mbps and when it stopped I did a test connection and it said 2mbps. My only guess is that my connection keeps dropping on and off intermittently but I'll see what your tests show up.

I have DNS on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 16:34:34
Print Post

I've done a few tests with the wire - here are the results (not sure if you need the code or the link so I have put both for each)

Test 1 LAN
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14946891416...
My Broadband Speed Test

Test 2 LAN
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14946890846...
My Broadband Speed Test

Test 3 LAN
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14946895281...
My Broadband Speed Test

Fast.com says 90 kbps....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-May-17 16:53:17
Print Post

So we say there is likely to be issues streaming video, and fast.com seems to agree, and fits your experience...

What exactly is wrong I cannot say, if you can ask a neighbour about their speeds (maybe on a different floor and on same floor) that might help show whether its your connection, floor or building based

What is odd is you seem able to get from bad to a test like http://tbb.st/1494689448134240055 in a matter of a minute and bears the hallmarks of capacity to a building being contended and sometimes you do better than other times. If the building has just recently gone live my bet will be that things will settle down once a handful of people have finished downloading the Internet i.e. run out of local storage

Cannot spot any tests that are obviously from the same postcode area today that are not yours.

Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 17:11:16
Print Post

Thanks, I'm just as confused as you are, it went live 6th May and it has been like this the entire time. Meanwhile no issues with the trusty old Sky, it's just slow (though as fast as it can be). I'm really frustrated with it, I guess they'll have to send an engineer out and if it's not fixed in the next week or so I'll have to ask them to remove it sadly. No point having great internet that cannot actually load anything that I use!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-May-17 18:19:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by wasbie:
Thanks, I'm just as confused as you are, it went live 6th May and it has been like this the entire time. Meanwhile no issues with the trusty old Sky, it's just slow (though as fast as it can be). I'm really frustrated with it, I guess they'll have to send an engineer out and if it's not fixed in the next week or so I'll have to ask them to remove it sadly. No point having great internet that cannot actually load anything that I use!
Not sure I would call it "great internet." Looks pretty dire to me.
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 18:22:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When it works it loads webpages very quick, as in click and it's loaded and the PS4 update progress bar was moving very quickly indeed in between the pauses. The ookla speedtests say 700-800mbps. I really hope they can fix it as I'm sick of 0.76mbps upload that we have with Sky.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Sun 14-May-17 00:12:00
Print Post

Push hyperoptic to escalate it to their next level up for support. The call handlers who you get initially are not that great at anything too technical.

Try a continuous ping to somewhere like www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get any packet drops when you see the downloads pause.

Try plugging the WAN cable into your PC directly if possible, just to rule out hardware issues with the router.

--
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 10:06:34
Print Post

Thanks, I will do. Someone on another forum recommended to use the quality monitor on this site to give them some evidence but unfortunately I'm just getting the solid 100% packet loss red band and there doesn't seem to be an allow ping/ICMP option anywhere in the router settings. If I don't get any luck I'll just keep pushing until they send an engineer out.

Also thanks for the reminder - I have had the same issues right out of the socket but currently plugged into the router so I will do the tests again (and the quality monitor if I get it working)
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Sun 14-May-17 10:12:13
Print Post

if you are on a CGNAT connection you won't be able to ping your router from the internet, as the router doesn't have a unique IP address reachable from the internet.

Just leave a ping running in a dos window and stop it every now and then and see if there's any packet loss. Or there's probably a few apps you can find that will log it.

--
Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 11:06:28
Print Post

Ok great, I will leave it continuous to www.bbc.co.uk today and see what happens. I just did a quick test now and out of 40 ish pings one timed out. I did a test to www.netflix.com out of interest and got this though - 100% packet loss (below), though I'm only just getting in to learning about networks so I don't know if there is another reason why that one is not good to do a ping test with. I just chose it as that is one of the things I am having trouble with.

Ping has startedů

PING www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com (52.17.146.40): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

--- www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Sun 14-May-17 11:30:22
Print Post

A lot of sites will deny pings for security reasons, so not being able to ping something is not an indicator of a problem.

The first ping may time out when you try a new address, but other lost pings could indicate a problem.

Normally I'd do a traceroute and ping something closer and try and identify where the loss is occurring, but you probably can't ping anything within the Hyperoptic network, maybe the second hop?

I just performed 1000 pings to the BBC with no packet loss. You shouldn't really see any packet loss to them, so the more evidence you can collate and provide to Hyperoptic will help them with troubleshooting. Saying that, the odd ping lost is normal. Routers will drop ICMP traffic if needed, as it's low priority

Also, ask your neighbours if they are seeing similar issues?

--
Standard User comnut1
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 11:36:14
Print Post

yup, netflix is down, no response here... (VM in south london)

FAST is getting 16ms, 110Mbps, could be 'cos no one can stream???? smile smile

NEWBIE since 2015!!! laugh laugh

Edited by comnut1 (Sun 14-May-17 11:37:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-May-17 12:09:03
Print Post

[re: comnut1] [link to this post]

Your Netflix may be down and not streaming video but others are working and no sign of meltdown of moans on twitter.

A server may or may not respond to ICMP ping, the key is knowing which ones do respond

Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 12:17:01
Print Post

I just did 1000 pings with 0.5% packet loss but I'll keep running them and writing it down. This is directly out of the socket. I'm afraid I don't know any of my neighbors to ask them and to be honest I dare say I will be one of few, if any, who have Hyperoptic right now. The only networks I see come up on my wifi devices are Sky and BT (though I know this range won't go far).

I've had this issue with Netflix for over a week now, rift from the start so it isn't just that the site is down unfortunately. I've tested every service I've had trouble with using my sky wifi at the same time and sky runs them all fine so I'm pretty certain it's definitely something with Hyperoptic
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-May-17 12:27:01
Print Post

The speedtest.net tester may be selecting a server that is on the Hyperoptic network so if that is always giving solidly good speeds you might have good connectivity to hyperoptic but are suffering along with others as things head out to the wider internet.

One way of comparing speed tests independent of any maths they do is to use Windows Task Manager and the network tab in Windows 10 is pretty good at showing what speeds different tasks are accomplishing.

Standard User wasbie
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 13:03:57
Print Post

I don't have a Windows machine unfortunately, just a MacBook Pro. The last couple of tests have had 0% packet loss and I've had Netflix working just now though it's definitely not HD quality even when set to high quality on the settings rather than auto. Fast.com is saying about 2mbps which is better than 90 Kbps but certainly nowhere near what I'm paying for.

I have no idea, I'm just going to keep testing it and keep on at them to figure out the problem
Standard User comnut1
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 18:08:47
Print Post

hey, just trying to help with info... smile

if my ping worked, solution..... :/

Edited by comnut1 (Sun 14-May-17 18:15:09)

ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Mon 15-May-17 13:05:14
Print Post

Hello Wasbie,

Sorry to hear about the issue you've been experiencing with your connection. If you need further assistance, please give us a call on 0333 332 1111 or send an email to support@hyperoptic.com and our tech team will be happy to troubleshoot this further.

Best regards,

Ana

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Sat 20-May-17 07:58:20
Print Post

Any updates?

--
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to