User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Sun 15-Oct-17 17:57:38
Print Post

Alternative Router

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Bit of advise please, I'm currently on Hyperoptics 100mb service and so far so good but the router they supplied doesn't have a USB port so my external HDD now has nowhere to go.

Can anyone recommend a router that will work with Hyperoptic but also has a USB? I purchased the Netgear AC750 but it wouldn't connect to the internet.

Thank You
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 19:37:32
Print Post

Re: Alternative Router

[re: jonesad24] [link to this post]

You're best off using the Hyperhub for your WAN and phone, and putting a router behind that for wifi and gigabit, in my opinion. It also means any issues can't be blamed on your router.

I use an Asus RT-AC68U in AP mode and it works just fine.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:05:16
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I have been through 3 new routers the past couple days and none of them work. No internet coming through at all. All OK with Fibre connections, Put cable direct from Hyperoptic to WAN port at the back but still nothing.

With your suggestion do I just connect my new router to the Hyperoptic one via an Ethernet cable?

Cheers pal.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:11:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jonesad24:
With your suggestion do I just connect my new router to the Hyperoptic one via an Ethernet cable?

Essentially, yes. Ensure DHCP is only enabled on one of them, I've left it on the Hyperhub. Disable wifi on the Hyperhub and just have it set on your router instead.

--
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:23:27
Print Post

Ok Thanks, Problem I'm having is turning off the DHCP on the new router as I can't access the router details as no internet is coming through. Just says this page cannot be displayed when going to http://tplinkmodem.net/. If I go to 192.168.1.1 as advised in the manual it takes me to the Hyperoptic router page.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:26:47
Print Post

Connect to the router without the Hyperhub connected, and your PC will pick up an IP address from it. Then connect to the router and statically assign its IP from your LAN range, assuming 192.168.1.1 is the Hyperhub, give it 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and disable DHCP. Save the config. Plug it back to the Hyperhub and you should get DHCP again and be able to connect to both routers, and have internet connectivity.

Hope that makes sense!

--
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:33:33
Print Post

I can't connect to the new router at all as I'm getting no internet coming through. Even the internet light isn't on the router just the power light.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:38:46
Print Post

Connect your PC to the LAN port of the new router, with nothing else connected and you should get a DHCP address from the router, and be able to connect to the routers home page, probably http://192.168.1.1 - you won't have any DNS at this stage so you have to use IP addresses.

You might have to do an "ipconfig /renew" to force your PC to request a new IP from the router.

Can you now log in, and set the routers IP from 192.168.1.1 to something else, and disable DHCP?

--
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Mon 16-Oct-17 21:00:33
Print Post

Well I have just realised the Hyperoptic router does in fact have a USB port on the side. The dummy one at the back made me think there wasn't one at all.

Sorry mate. I do appreciate the help. Now I just need to figure out how to get the contents of the HDD on my laptop.

Sorry for wasting your time pal
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 21:19:18
Print Post

No worries. If you have a better router though, it's worth using it for wifi as the hyperhub is only 2.4G

--
Standard User jonesad24
(newbie) Mon 16-Oct-17 21:30:10
Print Post

I may have to as my HDD isn't showing up on the network so maybe the Hyperhub doesn't support it. Went to map the drive but it's not showing. I have the path for it /mnt/usb1_1 so may have to do something with that.

Cheers again mate.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to