User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User twynneuk
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 11:05:55
Print Post

Google Wifi on Hyperoptic

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice on a somewhat unique situation.

I have a Google Wifi (mesh) system that was working perfectly in my previous property with BT Infinity. Having recently moved to a property with Hyperoptic and taken the 100mb service I'm having some issues.

1. If Google Wifi is set to obtain an IP using DHCP it fails completely to establish a connection to Hyperoptic. I've managed to get around this by paying for a static IP, but wondered if anyone knows why this might be failing?

2. Since putting the static IP in place I seem to lose internet connectivity every 24 hours (24 hours from when the Google Wifi was last restarted it fails again). Clearly restarting the Google Wifi primary access point resolves the issue, but I'd rather not be doing this every day! Any thoughts on what might be causing this? My first thought was some sort of lease expiry, but presumably that doesn't apply with a static IP?

For reference, this is a Google Wifi device plugged directly into the Hyperoptic wall port in my property. Their own router is not involved.

Thanks

Tom
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 11:40:54
Print Post

Re: Google Wifi on Hyperoptic

[re: twynneuk] [link to this post]

Need to talk to Hyperoptic support to find out what settings they use for delivering the Internet IP address, i.e. suspect its not just plain old DHCP

Once thought might be try cloning WAN MAC address of the Hyperoptic unit into the Google router

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User twynneuk
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 11:46:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks. I have of course contacted Hyperoptic Support and they've been unable to suggest anything other than putting the Hyperoptic router back in place to see if the same happens. I can do that, but it involves quite a lot of reconfiguration - which I'm getting tired of doing! There are some 30 devices using the internet in this property and each time I change the router everything breaks!

As for cloning the MAC, great idea but I'm afraid Google Wifi provides no such capability.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User locutus
(experienced) Wed 25-Oct-17 12:43:53
Print Post

I have my hyperhub connected to the WAN port, then my wifi router in AP mode behind that, which also means I can have a phone plugged in. An extra device, but it seemed the best way to do it.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User twynneuk
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 13:47:15
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Hi - and thanks.

I've of course tried that, but in order to use Google Wifi as a mesh (ie. not bridged) you end up with double NAT. This in turn causes other problems with some devices on my network. I'd rather keep the Hyperoptic router out of the equation.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Wed 25-Oct-17 17:07:09
Print Post

Hi there, we'd love to assist you further with this. Please give our tech support team a call and one of our agents will guide you through this in a more thorough way. Also, you can let us know via email to support@hyperoptic.com when it's convenient to receive a call from us, confirm us your phone number and we'll arrange that.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to