User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hinks
(newbie) Tue 12-Dec-17 14:45:40
Print Post

Changing the Router/Port Forwarding

[link to this post]

I've just moved over to Hyperoptic from Plusnet where I used a TP-Link Archer VR200 which had some real great features on that I used quite frequently (Port forwarding, virtual servers etc). The router Hyperoptic supplied has the least amount of features I've ever seen on a router which surprised me a bit.

I have the phone package as well which means I can't easily stop using the Hyperhub but I understand I can use my old router for internet connectivity. The only problem is, if it's behind the Hyperhub - port forwarding and virtual servers will surely not work?

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do here?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Dec-17 17:02:18
Print Post

Re: Changing the Router/Port Forwarding

[re: Hinks] [link to this post]

Are you paying for the static IP address? Since if on the default IPv4 CGNAT service no amount of port forwarding will help due to the carrier grade NAT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Hinks
(newbie) Tue 12-Dec-17 17:15:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not paying for a static IP - I assumed you could request one for free but what's free these days! The TP-Link router actually supports DDNS so I can use no-ip.org to circumvent that problem I think. That's what I did with Plusnet anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdw42
(learned) Tue 12-Dec-17 17:25:05
Print Post

DDNS will not help if the ISP is using CGNAT, it only works if you have a public IP address.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Wed 13-Dec-17 17:21:45
Print Post

Hi there, we'd love to help you. You'd need a static IP address for port forwarding to be successful, it's charged £5 per month. If you'd like it to be requested for you, please contact our CS team, they're available 24/7 and always keen to assist you.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User legume
(experienced) Wed 13-Dec-17 18:33:48
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
Hi there, we'd love to help you. You'd need a static IP address for port forwarding to be successful, it's charged £5 per month. If you'd like it to be requested for you, please contact our CS team, they're available 24/7 and always keen to assist you.

What a rip off, do ipv4s really cost that much for you?

I notice you still say "great for/best for" gaming on your web page without flagging the extra cost that may be needed for "great or best" gaming.
Standard User Hinks
(newbie) Thu 14-Dec-17 22:37:47
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Not exactly ideal but I had to pay the additional £5 a month for a static IP.

For any other people that might be looking at doing something similar, I used my old router (this isn't really capable of the 150Mbps WAN speed to I'm going to upgrade it soon). Simply plugged the Hyperoptic cable from the wall box into the WAN port on the router - literally worked straight away with very little setup.

To get around the VOIP issue as I have the calling package too I purchased a Grandstream HandyTone 801 (http://bit.ly/2yuoEy3) which I set up with the SIP details acquired from Hyperoptic.

So my system is now back up and running!
  Print Thread

Jump to