User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-18 13:34:25
Print Post

Project Greenland Dock

[link to this post]

I live in Brunswick Quay and had signed up to get Hyperoptic - we had a survey done about 6 weeks ago which they indicated it was okay but I have just seen a couple of posts on the SE16 broadband twitter page that Hyperoptic have now cancelled peoples orders as they have discovered issues during the trial. When I check other addresses in Brunswick Quay I can see that they say they are unable to accept new orders.

I have tried to contact sales but haven't had any response to an email I sent over a week ago and I have tried calling but just get an answerphone.

Could anyone shed any light on what is happening.

Cheers

Malcolm
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Mon 11-Jun-18 16:55:59
Print Post

Project Greenland Dock

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

Thank you for your post, Malcolm. Residents should have received an email to update them on the current situation - we're confident we will revisit soon. We're sorry you've not had a reply to your email. Can you please PM your details so that we can track it down? Thank you.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Eden_NZ
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 13:57:09
Print Post

Re: Project Greenland Dock

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

Due to the frustrations over the last 18 months, lack of communications from Hyperoptic and BT (and weak excuses), especially given the large claims by Dana in the media and to the Minister - we are in the process of moving to Relish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 14:28:51
Print Post

[re: Eden_NZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Eden_NZ:
Due to the frustrations over the last 18 months, lack of communications from Hyperoptic and BT (and weak excuses), especially given the large claims by Dana in the media and to the Minister - we are in the process of moving to Relish.

Let me know how you get on - very mixed reviews of Relish - poor download speeds in the evening and poor customer service - I haven't tried them as I believe the mast is south of where I live in Brunswick Quay and I doubt the signal would get through the trees and walls - I have no south facing window ! good luck
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 18-Jul-18 00:48:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Eden_NZ:
we are in the process of moving to Relish.
Jesus i hope nobody is waiting for them to be the next great thing sure speed is good say gone midnight through to about 9-10am starts to slow up after that and come 4-5 when the kids get home you can forget and come evening, just save your electric and turn the laptop/pc/tablet/phone off you are not going to load google home page let alone something like the BBC news page.
As for Cust Svcs there is none it's that simple, but when you live round here i guess Relish is an option just not a very good one, my advice is to get on OR case you may get lucky one day (I did) and now i'm VERY lucky to have FTTP

All1
Standard User Eden_NZ
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-18 18:26:00
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Well - we get one-four Mbits/second at the moment - and it slows down to below one when the 'school kids' are about.

Relish have installed new masts on the peninsula - and are currently promising 10-15 Mbits/s. Will see!

Am hoping that enough un-subscriptions from BT locally might contribute to a bit of attention.

Clearly BT, Hyperoptic and Virgin have all done the (same) sums and decided that much of houses off Redriff Road are not worth connecting.

Southwark Council seem to have been taken in by the spin from Hyperoptic.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 10:04:44
Print Post

I get about 5.5mb download on my Sky Broadband so looks like Relish would be slower for me. I think Hyperoptic have there hands full supplying all the council properties in Southwark and Brent so that is probably why the Greenland Dock project has been put on hold. It is frustrating that Southwark Council couldn't have done a deal with Hyperoptic to supply the private properties as well as the council ones. I don't think much will happen until 2020 and the USO comes in which means that potentially up to £ 3400 is available per property to install fibre.
Standard User redriff
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 11:27:07
Print Post

What is the issue with Brunswick Quay? I notice there are lots of paint markings on the pavement around the building. Is the Openreach ducting blocked? Or is it that there's nowhere to install H/O's equipment?

Interestingly Openreach have been installing FTTP in our block over the last few months. The service is live but I can't see anyone migrating away from H/O, because the offerings are more expensive, and the speeds aren't guaranteed, only 'up to' and the upload speeds aren't much to speak of.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 11:52:17
Print Post

[re: redriff] [link to this post]

Not sure what the issue is - I did ask Hyperoptic but they didn't specify what the reason was. I noticed the markings on the ground as well, Hyperoptic did actually supply and install to a few properties that on the road that is the entrance to Brunswick Quay but as far as I know didn't make it down to the street at the dock. I know from the meeting in January they did say they were using the BT ducts and they did rely on them being clear - I think that with the tree roots that probably some of the ducting will inevitably be blocked and the biggest trees are towards the dock front and between some of the houses / flats. Yes it does seem pointless from Openreach to install in a building that already has H/O but I suppose it improves there stats while leaving those of us in Greenland Dock with EO lines with no hope of getting anything.
Standard User redriff
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 14:36:44
Print Post

Let's hope those markings are to do with Openreach clearing the ducts if that's what the problem is. I've seen Hyperoptic pushing a lot of fibre cable into the ducts in that area. They're allowed to install their own cables now, rather than relying on Openreach to do it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was due to tree roots, as you know, there are a lot of London Plane Trees in that area
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 15:38:20
Print Post

[re: redriff] [link to this post]

Not building my hopes up - its not just Brunswick Quay that was put on hold it was the other side of the dock as well - Greenland Quay. Also so far the road markings only go down the main entrance road in Brunswick Quay and so far I haven't seen any markings on the pavements on the dock front.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jul-18 15:45:17
Print Post

Private is private, so unless the council was to buy out the private owner they have no say.

USO does not need to be fibre, it may be a 4G or 5G service for example. Also Relish if an area may be able to argue they provide a USO capable service and thus USO clauses don't apply

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-18 16:14:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When Southwark Labour pledged in 2014 to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe they didn't say but only to the council properties - you would have thought they could have included the Greenland Dock in there agreement.

http://www.southwarklabour.co.uk/latest-news/southwa...

Yes the USO is unclear how it will work but so far Relish can't supply 10mb download speeds in Brunswick Quay
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 20-Jul-18 01:17:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
USO does not need to be fibre, it may be a 4G or 5G service for example. Also Relish if an area may be able to argue they provide a USO capable service and thus USO clauses don't apply
Yup this is my way of seeing it Relish do give you 30+MB at 3am so meets USO obligations, and there you have it your screwed you could well be left with 3-5mb or relish with it's up and downs, they say it's grim up North, hell you want to try round here.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jul-18 09:46:42
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Yeap, USO is 10 Mbps sync and 1 Mbps sync or better.

i.e. it is not a throughput measure.

On wireless services the overhead between 'sync' and throughput can actually be higher compared to the xDSL overheads

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to