User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Catad
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 14:59:40
Print Post

please a little help with a setup for a third party router

[link to this post]

Hello,

After a few days of trying to setup my router Asus dsl ac55u AC1200 on hyperoptic I feel like I will explode.
I called them on technical support and even I got one of their engineers here, but I still can not make it work.
Please can anyone help me with this? I have the 1Gbps connection.

big thank you,
Catalin

PS: Sorry if I posted in the wrong category.

Edited by Catad (Thu 16-Aug-18 15:07:29)

ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Thu 16-Aug-18 16:45:59
Print Post

Re: please a little help with a setup for a third party rout

[re: Catad] [link to this post]

Hi Catalin,

We're really sorry to hear that's the case. If you feel that there's anything else we can do to try helping you with this, we're willing to do that for you, just PM us your details. Thank you.

Regards,

HyperopticCS

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Catad
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 17:37:43
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

can you tell me if I need to change the third party router MAC address to be the same with the proprietary router?
Thank you

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpl1953
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-18 08:53:46
Print Post

All I can say is that I've used both a netgear Nighthawk and now the Orbi system and I just plugged the ethernet cable into the hyperopic wall socket and the other end into the WAN port on the router and it worked out of the box.

The complication may be that yours is both an ads modem and a router so there may be a setting you need to turn off on the Asus dsl ac55u AC1200 to make sure it looks for the internet connection on the WAN socket and not the phone line. Also with the 1GB connection you don't need a login.

If you have a phone line from hyperoptic you will need to find a workaround as that only works with their router unless you use something like a gigaset gobox - which I do and it works like a dream.
Standard User Catad
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-18 10:09:27
Print Post

[re: jpl1953] [link to this post]

I have a phone line but I am not using it for years now so I don't care about phone line.
How can I tell the router to look for E Wan instead of dsl line? that's the big question. Hahaha. The router always try to find the DSL line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Aug-18 12:18:59
Print Post

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016311/

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Catad
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-18 15:23:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Saffron for reply. I already tried the settings from that webpage but nothing.
The only one I didn't try is to change the MAC address of the third party router to be the same as the proprietary router.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-18 17:12:33
Print Post

I can't see why the MAC would matter as you can plug the cable into the ethernet port on a PC and it works. Others use their own routers without giving the MAC to Hyperoptic.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Tue 21-Aug-18 09:06:54
Print Post

OK - so, are you using just broadband from Hyperoptic or do you also pay for their telephone service as well?

If it's just broadband, that's much easier to handle: you will need to:
* Disconnect the Hyperoptic router and put it safely to one side (Don't bin it, they expect you to look after it and have it on-hand in case of the need to troubleshoot etc)
* Connect from the wall socket to the ethernet port labeleld 'WAN' on your router.
* Follow the instructions that MrSaffron linked to; use Ethernet WAN mode (not PPPoA, PPPoE or similar), Automatic IP, Automatic DNS.

Let us know how that goes & if it doesn't work, what you get (does your router have a status page that might yield a clue?)

Don't fret about cloning the MAC address of your existing router; Hyperoptic are a very relaxed bunch about you using your own router. Other ISPs require that sort of meddling to hide that you aren't using their kit, but not HO.
  Print Thread

Jump to