User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:35:40
Print Post

Sono arrivato

[link to this post]

Engineer turned up soon after 9am and was gone by 10:10, once I connected with my Buffalo cheapo router, £23.56 inc delivery.

Everything looks fine so far wired, not got my wireless properly sorted yet. May be a router firmware update needed as I'm showing as Max 54(N) on InSSIDer and speed tests reflect that. I know the laptop connected at 130kbps to my Netgear 834N before I bricked it.

Engineer JDSU said 0.6km from cabinet, sync 39992kbps. Wired BT tests 36-38Mbps on 38717 profile.

The BBC Home page loads noticeably faster.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 18-Feb-11 17:23:09)

Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:12:19
Print Post

Re: Sono arrivato

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You're only trying to make us jealous. wink

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:15:25
Print Post

..... once I connected with my Buffalo cheapo router, £23.56 inc delivery.

What happened to the PN router? smile

What are the advantages of the Buffalo router, is it to do with your new high speed connection or is it a chipset thing? tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:22:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

834PN is an ADSL2+ modem/router.

I'm on FTTC - needs a cable router smile.

It's a pretty good piece of kit by the look of it, costing peanuts. Once I fine out whY I'm not getting a true "N" connection to it.

Updated the firmware, hasn't helped.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Feb-11 23:38:53
Print Post

Got the wireless sorted, now getting 65-130Mbps depending on conditions and full download speeds - 35Mbps+. 8 Mbps up.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Feb-11 11:59:21
Print Post

[re: rikbean] [link to this post]

Don't you just find these people irritating? smile What's wrong with a 3mb connection anyway? Yah Yah Yah smile

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

Idnetters Official Forums

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 12:27:52
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

It depends what you do with it, Alf. I'm seriously thinking that, for me, fibre would be a waste of money.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 12:35:36
Print Post

[re: rikbean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rikbean:
I'm seriously thinking that, for me, fibre would be a waste of money.
It's lovely and quick though tongue

But seriously, even if you don't need the speed, being able to dispense with that long length of copper (or aluminium) from the exchange to your cabinet can make quite a difference to the reliability of the connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Feb-11 12:46:05
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Reliability was another consideration with me Bill, though less important on LLU than on BTW. I would get periods of several hours with 20-second re-syncs, until stopping them with a Quiet Line Test.

That would have been a disaster with BT DLM, but I am assured by the engineers on these forums that unless it is cab >> house then that will be fixed now. PSTN cab >> exchange, which is almost certainly where the problem was, is now isolated.

As I said in an O2 thread, I don't need the speed, but nice to have. Not seen any profile changes yet, but got to watch the speed test frequency while I adjust to not being unlimited.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 13:04:10
Print Post

My line has always been reasonably reliable, it was mainly speed and "new toy syndrome" that made me switch.

It's impossible for me to be 100% sure, not being able to get line stats, but the fibre "feels" more stable than the copper... the line from the exchange to the cabinet ran through (or near) a small industrial estate so losing that can't have done any harm!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to