User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 12:27:07
Print Post

Move from Home SuperMax to cheaper IDNet product.

[link to this post]

I joined IDNet towards the end of 2007. The up-to 8 mbps Home SuperMax service is the only product Iíve used. Itís not cheap at £35.74 but itís been worth it with speeds I only dreamt of with my previous Max DSL provider.

Early last month, the situation changed. The relevant information is detailed in these rather convoluted threads:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/idnet/t/3978055-wha...

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/t/398178...

I rapidly went from fast mode with an IP Profile of 7150 to an interleaved line with a profile of 7000 kbps.

I am no nearer to picking up a pattern that I was on Day One.

This morning, an outgoing phone call caused a 13-second loss of sync. The line resented at 7328 kbps instead of 8128 kbps. The interleaving depth had been 32: 4. It changed to 16: 4. I rebooted the router and resynched at 8128 kbps. The interleaving depth also returned to the previous figures. However, when I ran a BT Test my IP profile had reduced to 6000 kbps and my download speeds are very reduced. There doesnít seem much point paying £5.74 per month for Home SuperMax now!

Has anybody made the move from Home SuperMax (or another priority product) to a lesser/cheaper one and just how much slower was it?

Thanks for any answers.

Sync: 8128/ 928
SNR: 15-13 dB
Line Attenuation: 22 dB
Approximately 930 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)

Edited by ARD (Tue 05-Apr-11 18:45:46)

Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Apr-11 12:49:12
Print Post

Re: Move from Home SuperMax to cheaper IDNet product.

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

I've only changed the other way. Have you run a BT speed test to see if your profile has dropped?

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 12:54:40
Print Post

[re: rikbean] [link to this post]

Yes. My profile dropped ffrom 7150 kbps to 7000 kbps when the line was first interleaved last month. Did I forget to mention that since the bad sync this morning it's down to 6000 kbps? Downloads are dismal.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:12:15
Print Post

Give it up to five days for the profile to recover.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:18:29
Print Post

I wouldn't be too troubled having to wait 5 days for the profile to return to what is now its norm of 7000 kbps were it not for the lack of progress with the original issue. At this rate, I'll never get ADSL2+. I'm pay big bucks for what (these days) is fairly slow broadband.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:24:29
Print Post

I haven't re-read the links you give, but perhaps you are mis-understanding something.

You are on IPStream (or IPSC). Changing your product will make no difference whatsoever to your connection speeds except a slower upload speed. That has been the case ever since you joined.

The cause of the problem needs to be identified and corrected. Your choice of package is a completely separate issue. The price of SuperMax gave you an 832kbps upload instead of 448kbps, and the highest download allowance. It didn't affect your download connection speed.

What is does give you however is priority in the BT system at busy times, which will improve the throughput speed if you are streaming or downloading via P2P etc. at those times. I would have thought the lower your connection speed the more important the higher priority given to throughput would become.

So given your line problem, if you were on a lower package the logical thing to do if you didn't get it fixed and throughput matters to you would be to upgrade to SuperMax. A downgrade from it makes little sense to me.

Looking at the details in your post, the sync of 8128kbps will cause your IP Profile to rise within a few days to 7150kbps. See the IP Profile page on my website.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:38:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As you say, you haven't read my story.

I understand how an IP profile can rise and fall but thanks anyway for the link to your site. I'll enjoy reading more of it at a less busy time.

I posted the question because while I was happy to pay a bomb for the most brilliant ADSL and look forward to even faster speeds on ADS2+ it seems pointless paying the same price for ADSL on a line with an undiagnosed problem and speeds that are slowing down. I could pay £17-10 per month less and put up with just slightly slower speeds. (I don't needs a high upstream rate.)

Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:41:16
Print Post

Your links don't work for me, simply returning to the index page, so perhaps you could reiterate the problem?

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:51:03
Print Post

This morning, an outgoing phone call caused a 13-second loss of sync.

That could indicate faulty filters as well as a possible fault on the line.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:51:31
Print Post

Re: Move from Home SuperMax to cheaper IDNet product. *DELETED*

Post deleted by seb

Edited by ARD (Tue 05-Apr-11 16:58:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to