User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:40:42
Print Post

IDNet Business Premium Fibre - Speed all over the place !!

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I've just had IDNet Business Premium Fibre installed as I work from home and needed the best service I could get on FTTC. I have to say that so far I'm dissappointed with the performance. The Upstream Speeds seem pretty well unaffected but download speeds are very erratic.

On the Thinkbroadband Speedtest it can vary anywhere between 12 and 30Mb whereas the Upstream is a steady 6.2Mb. By comparison the BT Speedtester for FTTC shows downloads varying between a stable 29 and 36Mb and a stable 8.2Mb Upstream. My IP Profile is showing for Downstream 38717 and Upstream 10000, I am 200M from the Cabinet.

Is this normal or is this congestion with the BT Exchange or IDNet's Network? I am paying for Traffic Priority on my package so I don't understand this at all.

Anyone with any suggestions or tests I can run please, so far I'm unimpressed !

Many thanks

Edited by Seadog (Mon 11-Apr-11 21:44:58)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:55:42
Print Post

Re: IDNet Business Premium Fibre - Speed all over the place

[re: Seadog] [link to this post]

A lot of people have problems using the tbb tester with an FTTC product, and not just IDNet customers, but the reason isn't at all clear.

I find that tbb will only give me about 60-70% of the speed results that I can get from just about any other tester, and real life (eg iTunes downloads) agrees with the others, not tbb. I used to swear by it on copper, but I've pretty much given up using it on fibre.

I'm on a home product not business, but I also find that the speed is much more sensitive to congestion than the "copper" products, again this seems to apply to fibre generally not just IDNet.

My own feeling is that BT handle fibre traffic differently to other traffic... but I can't prove it frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:49:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks Bill,

Yes if you could prove what BT do with FTTC that would be great !! The thing that worries me is I've been on various websites, not just speedtester sites today and downloads have all been very erratic. Microsoft Service Packs were horrendous, slower than ADSL2 with Be but of course that could just be Microsoft! I've just been on the BT Speedtester Page for the 3rd time and it's shows everything is fine, 8.2Mb Up, 36Mb Down, stable as a rock, if only that was true on the Web. As I say Upload Speeds are very stable so I don't think they are contended??

Suppose I could start testing by downloading a few large Gb files from BBC HD on iPlayer, that may be a good test. Pings seem quite ok 13 -14ms to the BBC and the IDNet Gateway.

Any other suggestions other than bugging IDNet support would be greatly appreciated and if IDNet Support is reading this then perhaps just double check my line - Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Apr-11 23:23:09
Print Post

Have you tried over on the IDNetters support forum?

It's "unofficial", but they're very helpful and it gets more readership than this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-11 23:53:46
Print Post

Thanks Bill I'll give it a try
ISP Representative simon_idnet
(isp) Tue 12-Apr-11 02:13:09
Print Post

Hi Seadog

If you could PM me your DSL login username I can check your line. What make/model of router are you using?
Simon
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 10:35:57
Print Post

[re: simon_idnet] [link to this post]

Hi Simon,

Ok will drop you a line thanks smile
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:54:04
Print Post

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone else having terrible download speeds tonight, I'm down to 3.8Mb which is slower than my old Be connection on a 4Km line !! see below;

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1250736063.png

I've just checked on the TBB Speedtester and it is even worse, 1.3Mb Down, 3.5 Up see below;

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13027...

I assume this is all down to congestion somewhere, absolutely awful, anyone else having slow speeds tonight?

Thanks
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:59:44
Print Post

Yup, I am too.

But I found a possible explanation, which might also explain why it seems to be improving now:

ITV1, 19:30 - 22:00, Tottenham vs Real Madrid frown

ps- Tottenham got slaughtered 5-0 on aggregate, serves 'em right tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Edited by billford (Wed 13-Apr-11 22:16:37)

Standard User Seadog
(regular) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:58:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Yup, I am too.

But I found a possible explanation, which might also explain why it seems to be improving now:

ITV1, 19:30 - 22:00, Tottenham vs Real Madrid frown

ps- Tottenham got slaughtered 5-0 on aggregate, serves 'em right tongue

Never thought of that Bill, but if that is the case then we have a serious lack of Network Capacity around the UK. I remember last year when the World Cup was on Be was one of the few Networks largely unaffected!!

As long as Man U get through I don't care, and forget Chelski !!
  Print Thread

Jump to