User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 21:27:48
Print Post

IDNet Business Premium Fibre - Very Dissappointed

[link to this post]

Hello Everyone,

Well following on from my previous post about poor download speeds things just got worse this afternoon. Around 13.30 after checking on TBB BQM I noticed that my latency had suddenly jumped from 14ms to 32ms with no explanation, this in addition to my speed problems with downloads and its only day two!

Anyway, I decided to phone support for help and I have to say I was not impressed. Basically I was told that on a business product I was only guaranteed a download speed of 12mb by BT and when told the support gentleman about the sudden jump in latency from 14 to 32ms was told this was perfectly acceptable..

Well after spending this amount of money on a business product I have to say this is not acceptable. The support gentleman did not even seem willing to try any tests and I feel I have just been fobbed off.

I did some checks myself and it appears that the Gateway which IDNet is using to my exchange has slowed down, maybe this is also the reason why my downloads have slowed down due to congestion at the exchange, see my tracert below;

Tracing route to telehouse-gw2-lo1.idnet.net [212.69.63.51]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.0.1]
2 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms telehouse-gw2-lo1.idnet.net [212.69.63.51]

Trace complete.

Is there anyone with any suggestions, I thought the business product has 'Traffic Priority' which should reduce this congestion and what is my contention on this business product?

Unless these problems are resolved I cannot recommend this business product to anyone, after all I am paying double what the BT Business Fibre Product Costs at £600, I should be getting Platinum Service for £1200 !!!!

Come on IDNet sort this out for me will you, everyone is watching...

Thanks

Edited by Seadog (Tue 12-Apr-11 21:29:53)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 12-Apr-11 21:39:59
Print Post

Re: IDNet Business Premium Fibre - Very Dissappointed

[re: Seadog] [link to this post]

The jump in latency is almost certainly due to the MSAN turning interleave on- the same happened to me and (as far as I'm aware) it's completely automatic and there's nothing IDNet can do about it.

As for the speed... I did say that FTTC seems more sensitive to congestion than the "all-copper" products, and if the congestion is at your exchange your only choices are to move house or wait for an FTTC LLU operator to turn up.

The only one of those that I know of in the near future is TalkTalk... good luck crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 21:56:04
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information, oh dear that does not sound good at all, interleave on why I'm only 200M from the Cab. As for move house, not presently but yes eventually moving to an FTTC LLU Operator is definately the answer, hopefully back to Be in 12 months time..

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:01:26
Print Post

I must admit that, much as I like IDNet, if Be put in an FTTC option at my exchange (they're there for copper) I'd give them serious thought... the idea of getting out from under BT has a lot of attractions crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeeTee
(member) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:04:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
The jump in latency is almost certainly due to the MSAN..........

Technically it is a DSLAM as the voice portion of the service is split off and continues over the copper pair to the exchange from the cab.
Standard User Seadog
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:07:24
Print Post

Yes I quite agree with you Bill, I just hope Be are able to accomodate FTTC LLU in the next 12 Months, in the meantime I'll just have to suffer under BT..!!

Cheers
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:14:29
Print Post

The main thing that put me off Be when I was looking around was that I wanted (and would still much prefer) a static IP... but time on this board has shown that whilst, strictly speaking they're dynamic, they're sufficiently "sticky" that I could put up with it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User Seadog
(regular) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:35:22
Print Post

They are Static IP's on Be Unlimited and Be Pro, I was certainly on a Static IP with Be Unlimited.. smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:46:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
The main thing that put me off Be when I was looking around was that I wanted (and would still much prefer) a static IP... but time on this board has shown that whilst, strictly speaking they're dynamic, they're sufficiently "sticky" that I could put up with it!

Static is free on request with Unlimited, and automatic with Pro - and with Pro you can have a routed subnet if needed, but you have to do the appropriate request. ( I think there is a RIPE form ).

Still waiting for BE news on Fibre and IPv6.....

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 15-Apr-11 22:41:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Still waiting for BE news on Fibre and IPv6.....
I was doing some investigations on IPv6 earlier today and needed some sites to connect to... I was interested to note that the Be User Group forum has an IPv6 address tongue
ping6 -c 1 www.beusergroup.co.uk
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) 2a02:390:6109::c62c:3ff:xxxx:xxxx --> 2001:470:1f08:880::2
16 bytes from 2001:470:1f08:880::2, icmp_seq=0 hlim=57 time=31.805 ms

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to